Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How easy would it be to run Ubuntu OS off either or these?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aire

Aire

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:38 AM

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-14-14-bw022na-amd-a4-4gb-1tb-black-laptop/760-8535.prd?skuId=760-8535

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8152321

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

Both should work very well with Ubuntu, I think you will have no issue really.

I would go with the Pentium model as it has the better processor, and a SSD (thus why it lacks space but the SSD is well worth it)

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

The recommended system requirements for the current releases of Ubuntu Desktop can be found here.  https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Any system that meets or exceeds them should be good to go!

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Indeed and both laptops surpass that

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

Thanks!

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

I agree with MadmanRB though am hesitant to buy from a site that don't allow Reviews!  The SSD is a big plus also, and the fact that it is an Intel is also very good IMO.  I've ran these and they don't work to bad for the price point.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

No, you shouldn't have any problems with those. I agree with Madman that the Pentium would be the better choice; Intel have been pretty 'Linux-friendly' for a long time.

Let us know what you decide to try, and how you get  on with it, please.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Make sure to try booting linux from a live USB on the models* in store, to check for the risk of an incompatible BIOS/UEFI. Testing is the only way you can properly ensure this, BIOS/UEFI problems are not apparent in normal specs sheets, and a lot of shops won't accept return of items if you buy them then tests them and find them not to work.

I would advise that although these should be fine for general internet browsing, office tasks and such they aren't going to be hugely fast. Compare to your current system, whatever that might be, if the specs are similar then you can expect performance from these comparable to what you have. If the specs of your current things are higher then be aware then maybe see if you can compare some sort of benchmark task based on things you do a lot so you can feel if these would still be fast enough for what you want.

*assuming ofcourse that they are the same product as being sold, occasionally some shops might have demo products for customers to look at which don't quite match the specs of real devices being sold

Edited by rp88, 04 February 2018 - 08:41 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

I find it unusual that no one else tried to install Ubuntu on this laptop?  I think you should find a site that allows for questions and ask if anyone knows if Ubuntu can be installed, just for good measure.  I don't think there would be a problem, but I would ask if installing linux was my goal.  Ask on the hp forums.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05536136

https://certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/201505-18322/

Personally I would not install Ubuntu on this pc, but Linux Mint Mate, or something a little lighter on resources, though it should run okay.  I'm running Mint's KDE on a lesser pc right now and love it, though it is slow.

Make sure to try booting linux from a live USB on the models* in store, to check for the risk of an incompatible BIOS/UEFI. 

Personally I would not try this, unless you don't care if the store gets mad at you for changing settings on their pc's, and never wants you back.  Or even worse, calls the police for tampering with their pc's.  Some stores have this all locked down anyway, if their smart, and won't allow you to make these changes.  Ask one of the Tech's to see if there is anyone their that will help you with this request.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:46 PM

I think that Mint Mate is probably the best option for running on older computers, or virtual machines.  Mint Cinnamon is awesome on a modern computer with a good GPU!

#11 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

Thanks all! I got the Pentium..

I agree with MadmanRB though am hesitant to buy from a site that don't allow Reviews! 

Same, but they do actually allow reviews, there's just none up for yet for that particular product because it's new to the site.

No, you shouldn't have any problems with those. I agree with Madman that the Pentium would be the better choice; Intel have been pretty 'Linux-friendly' for a long time.

Let us know what you decide to try, and how you get  on with it, please.

Mike.  :wink:

Will do :)  I'll probably have a few more questions

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

Thanks all! I got the Pentium..

I agree with MadmanRB though am hesitant to buy from a site that don't allow Reviews! 

Same, but they do actually allow reviews, there's just none up for yet for that particular product because it's new to the site.

Ahh, gotcha.  Hope it boots up for you.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users