Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Begginner

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hello all,

I have been testing linux unbuntu over the last week and have been having problems setting stuff up..I have looked online through unbuntu forums but find that the conversations are a little over my head at present.

I recently downloaded an avi decoder for xmms but haven't a clue how to install or run it or for that matter, make it do anything. I am aware that a configure command must be run from the terminal but I get an error that suggests I have applied incorrect syntax or my command is wrong...

could anyone guide me in plain english...I'd like to learn how to extract and install packages and so far have got as far as assuming "untaring" is the same as unzipping????

please help me learn the /configure command and how to use the /makefile or /make commands as I'm really stuck and frustrated,,,thanks for all your help and understanding

Darren :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

check this out http://www.xmms.org/support.php and a really easy way to install packages is the package manager,synaptic or kpackage.i dont remember which ubuntu uses.youll also need to open the tools of the package manager and look for repositorys and enable them all.

#3 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

Ubuntu uses synaptic, or you can apt-get from a terminal. Apt-get works pretty well for me, as long as you know what package you are looking for.. Why don't you just download Kaffeine player and use that for avi?
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

Thanks so much for your replies...I wanted to get used to the terminal and commands for the challenge..I have worked through a few probs with success since my post...I figured out how to cd to the directory and use the ./configure command but then had a headache with finding and loading the required C compiler. On doing that I then had a prob with XMMS SDL 1.1.6 missing and had to find and load that..(which I did using synaptic package manager.)
Despite successfully loading the plugin for XMMS I still get an error that I need a plugin when opening an avi with XMMS..forget about Totem...can you tell I'm just a begginner?>...:-)

Two Quick Questions:

1. When using the apt-get command, is there a generic syntax to use (ie: apt-get followed by the package required? or do you need to know the location of the required package as well????) Also, how does one know what the package name actually is before using apt-get?....sorry if the question is confusing or ambiguous

2. Is the password for SU the same as the login password?...I'm the only user and it is the account that was created on installation..does that make me a super-user automatically or is there another password I need?..the reason I ask is that when typing SU then the pwd on request i get an authentication error..

My next mission is to get my lexmark printer to work....thanks again for your input and help...I didn't know about "Kaffeine"...and will be trying it sharpish.

Thanks again,

Darren

#5 SNC-Zach

SNC-Zach

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Try this from the user console:

sudo su -

Or, there should be a 'Root Terminal' in the menu somewhere that will open up a root console indicated by the # symbol instead of the $ symbol.

#6 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

It is just
apt-get install package_name
so for firefox it is
apt-get install firefox
to remove a package

apt-get remove package_name

Here is a good tutorial http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/12/conc...er-for-new.html

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

Hay there ColdinCbus
Nice link, thanks :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

you might also have to open xmms under tools -plugins and enable it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users