Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Attempt To Access FARBAR Download Page Crashes ALL Browsers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DiamondDancersSD

DiamondDancersSD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:27 AM

Hello Bleeping Forum,

This is my first post here though I have found advice at BleepingComputers many times in the past. I am considered well versed in geeking operations and troubleshooting-wise so literal step-by-step is not necessary. If you need me in regedit... just say open regedit.  That aside,  I happen to be experiencing the same issue as a gentleman, Mr. Happypants,  did back in October, 2017. He posted his issue under the wrong topic initially and was directed to repost under a the correct one. Unfortunately, the admins for both topics crossed wires and closed the topic as duplicate. I was unable to find where this issue was resolved so I am pasting his post below. 

A few details are different in my case...

HP Envy Laptop (18 months old) .

OS = win10 (i believe current on updates)

Browsers: IE v11.2007.14393.0 & update 11.0.5(kb4056568)

Chrome v 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit)

FireFox v41.069 (not completely current purposely)

Security & Diagnostics:

MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free current but non-functional

McAfee Live Safe (paid for and current but not trusted at this point)

Have tried McAfee Scans

TrendMicro Housecall

Norton Power Eraser

I have searched my registry and hard drives for any reference to Farbar attempting to identify the trigger. I do not code so if it is a java thing, would I be able to find it?. 

They do not detect anything but I know from behavior and testing suspicious files at Virus Total (a min of 10+ entities recognize the files as tainted) my laptop is infected.  So I wanted to download FARBAR.   Every one of my browsers on a variety of websites: Bleeping, Majorgeeks, Geeks-to-Go, and several others exhibited the same behavior; ALL attempts to access the actual page from which FARBAR can be downloaded crashes all 3 browsers on every site I attempted to download the Farbar program.  They do not hang, or go wonky; they just go poof (abruptly close no matter other tabs being open in addition to the trigger sites' tabs).  I do not see an entry in the event viewer for these crashes. Lastly, Farbar is the ONLY program I am being obstructed from downloading.  I can acquire the file (I think) via a friend. I am just so very curious about the manner and means by which this occurring. 

Below are Mr. Happypants posts:

These 2 posts were the only specific references to my problem, so I was frustrated both threads were closed   apparently without any attention given to resolving the matter that I could see. It looks as tho' the 2 admins thought the matter was being dealt with under the other topic. 

Please assist at your soonest convenience.. Thank you for your time and attention.

Diamond

MrHappyPants
  • TOPIC STARTER

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

Unfortunately I must add one more reply/update to this thread, as I don't know where I'd post it otherwise: Whenever I've attempted to download the FRST, my Firefox browser crashes. Not only upon clicking on the direct link from this site...but THEN, after just running a separate google search for a different site to download the program. THEN...Firefox began crashing...WHENEVER I EVEN RAN A SEARCH FOR THE FRST DOWNLOAD. I literally can't even type "FRST Download" into Google search, without my Firefox browser crashing.

It's hard to imaging how this could be anything other than malware attempting to prevent me from downloading the program. What do I do now...as to proceed would seem to be dependent upon running the FRST scan?

Oh, by the way, I DID run the ESET scan, with the instructions you provided, and scanning for PUPs as well as threats, and turned off my other antispyware during same, but which turned up nothing whatsoever.

Curiouser and curiouser indeed.

Again, many thanks for your continuing help.

Edited by MrHappyPants, 09 October 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#7 icon_share.pngdc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• photo-thumb-13532.jpg?_r=1391807540
  • Members
  • 29,910 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Start the topic and explain that you are having trouble downloading the FRST.  The Malware Removal member who takes this topic will help you the rest of the way.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 icon_share.pngMrHappyPants
  • TOPIC STARTER

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Thanks

#9 icon_share.pnghamluis

• photo-thumb-33068.jpg?_r=1451907899
  • 54,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

New topic in MRL:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/659772/frst-download-attempts-crashing-browser-repeatedly-see-post-attack-via-windows/ .

This AII topic is now closed to avoid confusion.

Louis.

=================================================================  AND

FRST download attempts crashing browser repeatedly (see post "attack via windows
Started by MrHappyPantsOct 09 2017 12:36 PM

• lock.png This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic
#1 icon_share.pngMrHappyPants

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

Original post mistakenly made to

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/658689/attack-via-windows-explorer/

I've completed up to the steps outlined here, in previous posts (was directed to begin new thread here)

However, my browser now crashes upon attempting to open any link promising a download of the FRST scan-from this site, as well as:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

and

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/435-frst-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

I'm literally unable to click the links without Firefox crashing immediately. It would seem obvious that malware's responsible.

Any ideas?

I've yet to delete the malware (trojans/rootkits/various PUPs) turned up by Malwarebytes. They are quarantined, however.

Help! Any other options as to how to proceed/get the FRST scan downloaded?

<HIS STATE OF THE PUTER POSTING OMITTED>

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• photo-thumb-57930.jpg?_r=0
  • Malware Response Team
  • 10,669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Closing duplicate.

Under Hurricane Emergency, expect delays on my responses

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:57 AM

Welcome to BC...

MrHappyPants problems were resolved in the topic "attack from Windows Explorer" - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

It seems once he allowed Malwarebytes to delete/ quarantine what it found he was able to perform the FRST download and scan.

I suggest you start a new topic in the malware removal Forum. The first sentence should be "Unable to download FRST". One of the expert

volunteers there will assist you.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users