Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung SSD EVO 850 series HD suddenly 'empty'?? In 2013 Macbook Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JoanneKate

JoanneKate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

Hi all

I have had no problems with my 2013 Macbook Pro until now. Hard drive was replaced less than two years ago to an SSD (Samsung EVO 850 Series).

Last weekend, after carrying the laptop with me to a meeting, it will not start up (grey screen only). I can start it in restore mode however it does not find any hard drive in which to reinstall OS or restore from a backup.

Took it to the local authorised Apple repairer (yes realise Samsung is not an Apple HD! But was hoping they could use their macbook knowledge...). Paid $99 for diagnostics, only to be told that the hard drive was 'empty' (which seemed strange to me). 

The technician offered to format and reinstall OS on the HD and I agreed, however he then told me the disk couldn't be mounted and that this must mean the hard drive is faulty.

Before I go back to Samsung and ask for a warranty replacement, can someone please tell me if this sounds right?

In particular, I am curious about:

1) if it could be the cable. I have had issues with the cable in the past (before HD was changed). The technician said he tried another HD in there and it worked fine, however I am still wondering if it having an old cable is causing issues.

2) is it likely to be a faulty hard drive? If so, what would cause it to be suddenly 'empty'?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:56 PM

You can download UBCD. This is a disk based on linux. Burn the iso file to a DVD using a Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. If the Mac does not have a DVD drive you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. 

At the UBCD menu select Parted Magic. On the Parted Magic desktop is Disk Health. Run the short and long tests on the SSD.

http://www.sysadminguide.net/

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Disk Health is actually GsmartControl

The drive would be empty if the drive had a total failure. 

I am not sure if the older version of Parted Magic can mount an Mac formatted with hfs+.  The new version of Parted Magic can as well as Mint Cinnamon 18.2. The new version of Parted Magic is $11 but Mint Cinnamon is free. This would confirm if the drive is empty or not. Use Mint with Rufus to create a bootable flash drive of Mint. Do not enter anything when Mint boots. Wait until at the mint desktop. Click the Computer icon. Your disk will be in the lower pane.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users