Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried to fix update problem, didnt work & now I can no longer access anything

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Aire

Aire

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

Could someone please help me.

I finally tried to reset my netbook after many many failed update attempts -
I provided the 14gb usb drive it apparently needed (didn't work) & then deleted enough programs to create enough space to download it directly onto the hard drive (didn't work).

Then i tried to reset (which failed).

Then I downloaded windows to my usb in order to do attempt a repair/clean reinstall. After getting it to boot my mouse suddenly disappeared leaving me with no option to actually run it/do anything at all (I tried enter & directional buttons, nothing worked).

I then restarted and tried going through device updates to see if that would help. At some point a note popped up for a driver (12C Port I-OF41) I had already checked (it didn't need updating), requesting restart to finish installing the software (something to that effect). I restarted, went back to where I left off and the same note popped up again. I ignored it this time and continued checking the other devices until I realised they were being removed each time I did this. I dont remember the name of this device...something "controller"? there were about 4 of them originally and then there was 1.

I restarted again and now cant access anything ,just the page with the time/ date but it's completely unresponsive.

I swear I'm about to rip my hair out...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:39 PM

What is the make and model of the netbook? Was this netbook pre-installed with Windows 10? Do you need personal data from the netbook?

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2018 - 06:39 PM.

#3 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

Lenovo 100s. Preinstalled, I have everything backed up externally

Edited by Aire, 02 February 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

Follow the below guide. You want to download the Media Creation Tool on another computer but use the iso option and Rufus. This is explained in the guide. The most important part of the guide is using the diskpart commands.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

This will be a clean install with no OEM lenovo software. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2018 - 06:56 PM.

#5 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

I don't have another laptop/desktop to use to do that rn, is there any other option?...and I can't access boot at all

Edited by Aire, 02 February 2018 - 06:58 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

In order to do the clean install you will need to download the Media Creation Tool on another computer.

You did the reset option inside of Windows 10 and it failed? Did you select a full reset without keeping your files? Can you login to your netbook?

Edit: I just saw your edited post that you cannot boot at all. The only thing you can try is the following.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

This will get you to the option to do a reset or startup repair. For startup repair it may take up to three attempts to complete. If you can access Troubleshoot using the above steps and reset or startup repair does not work you may be able to restore the registry hives if you can get to a command prompt. This we can attempt if reset or startup repair does not work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2018 - 07:11 PM.

#7 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:10 PM

How would I access that install when I can't access boot options? I can't login. All I can do is switch it on/off.

Yes inside windows. The one where you keep your files. I was going to to try the other type but decided I had wasted enough time already and went for the reinstall

Edited by Aire, 02 February 2018 - 07:12 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

See my edited post. Using the power button to force the troubleshooting menu you may be able to reset, startup repair, or system restore, if you have a restore point.

#9 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:24 PM

Thank you - got to troubleshooting, attempting a full reset..

#10 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Reset and start up repair didn't work..

I don't have any restore points - can we try the command prompt?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

This probably will not work but you can try it. See the below video. Follow the command prompts show. The idea is to copy the registry hives in the Regback folder and copy them to the config folder. Windows makes backups of the registry in the Regback folder. Replacing the hives in the config folder with the ones in Regback, if there are any there, may get the computer to boot but if a reset failed I have my doubts. Good luck. Watch the video twice before attempting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=2f-GorXWkoc

If the above fails you will need to access another computer to download the media creation tool and make a Windows 10 DVD or USB flash drive per the guide I linked to in post #4

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2018 - 08:25 PM.

#12 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, didn't work. Thanks anyway.

Does the reinstall have a high chance of failure too? Why do you think its doing this? Im so confused

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

The reinstall could fail because of a hardware problem. If your hard drive is failing that could be a reason the reset failed.

#14 Aire

Aire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

Hi JohnC_21, 

I'm trying to do the clean install as per the guide but I'm on a laptop running 64 bit and the Lenovo was 32bit OS with 64 bit processor...at least I think it was (very small chance I mixed up the OS with the processor and it was the reverse)

In "architecture" should I select the "both" option, or download them both individually (if that's even possible)? 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

If you have a 64bit processor then 64bit OS will work fine. You can install 64bit or 32bit on the Lenovo. If you decide on 32bit select only it. You do not need to download both.

According to the specs the processor is 64bit on the Lenovo 100s

If you have over 4GB of RAM you want 64bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users