Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 "Frozen"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

I am having an issue with an old Windows 98 computer that keeps completely freezing up. I would be playing Sim City 2000 or its Urban Renewal Kit and all of a sudden after clicking something in the game, the entire computer will freeze up. The keyboard does not work and the num lock or caps lock lights do not work if I hit num lock or caps lock. If I wait about20 minutes, the mouse will freeze also. The computer stays frozen indefinitely until I force power the machine off. I do not want to have to keep doing this because I lose all progress in my game when I do this—especially if I have not saved in awhile or at all.

Does anybody know how to fix this or get it unfrozen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

Given the age of the system, I would guess a failing hard drive

Run scandisk and do the thorough test

o rutn ScanDisk from Windows 95 and 98, follow the steps below.

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Click the Run option, type ScanDisk in the Run box, then press Enter.
  3. Within the ScanDisk window, select the drive that you want to be checked.
  4. Choose the Standard or Thorough option. It is recommended you run a Standard scan first. If you encounter issues with ScanDisk using the Standard scan, run the Thorough scan instead.
  5. Finally, click start to begin ScanDisk.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

I already did this. I did both tests. It finds nothing. Even Norton Disk Doctor finds nothing

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 04 February 2018 - 06:09 PM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

Dont trust Norton Disk Doctor, particularly for Windows 98.

If you have any Norton products installed on that system that might be your problem.

The hard drive on the system is probably going on 20 years old.

What you are dealing with points to a hard drive failure.

All hard drives fail, it is just a matter of when

I would first back up any important data.

Then determine the drive manufacturer and download and run their drive test tool.

If we know the brand of the drive we can point you in the right direction for that

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

The hard drive is more like maybe 10 years old. I put a new one in (40 GB), upgraded it to 1 GB ram and gave it an ATI graphics five or so years ago. If it helps any, the computer recently sat unused for about a year and a half when I had too many classes to play my old games. Now I have the one class and can play my old games Thursdays thru Sundays

It is not Norton Disk Doctor that is causing this. It was doing this before I installed Norton Disk Doctor on it. I installed Norton Utilities hoping to fix the issue. and back in 2000, Norton Utilities was the best thing to have. I have the 2000 release from some abandonware website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users