Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Problem with wireless adapter or access point"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lifeovrina

lifeovrina

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

Every since I've been away from home and now to college (dorms), I'm not sure if it's my laptop or the wifi here because no one elses laptop has this problem as mines.

I could be on the internet just browsing and all of a sudden google chrome freezes like it always does when the wifi is off, my Wifi signal would have a yellow caution or warning triangle sign. I always have to click troubleshoot to try to fix it but it never works permanently. I have to keep turning my wifi off and on just to get it back working or even restart my laptop!

My question is how can I fix this "Problem with wireless adapter or access point" or "No internet access" issue. I've tried so many methods but it just ends up happening again.

tkHc3Z8.png

Note: This would also happen if I'm home too, but mostly on-campus I have this problem while I'm trying to do my work or just watch a video (especially netflix).

Edited by lifeovrina, 02 February 2018 - 01:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

What is the make and model number of the laptop. Have your tried reinstalling the drivers for your Wifi adapter?

#3 lifeovrina

lifeovrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

What is the make and model number of the laptop. Have your tried reinstalling the drivers for your Wifi adapter?

Hewlett-Packard, HP Pavilion 13 x360 and yes I have tried that already.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

This could be an issue with the adapter itself. This is Windows 8.1 that has not been upgraded to 10, correct?

You can get a USB wifi dongle that will replace the wifi card. Ones with an antenna will give you more range at the expense of portability.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xusb+wifi+dongle.TRS0&_nkw=usb+wifi+dongles&_sacat=45002

For a USB dongle without and antenna Edimax is good. Also TPlink.

If you decide to do this then disable or uninstall the Wifi adapter in Device Manager first.

I could not find a support site for your computer. Please do the following Right Click the Wifi adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

Sometimes it helps to disable, not uninstall the Ethernet Adapter in Device Manager. I would also set your Wifi adapter to maximum power.

#5 lifeovrina

lifeovrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

Well I upgraded to windows 10 once, like months ago, but it completely messed my laptop up and wasnt compatible with a lot of things. So yes I am now on windows 8.1

Okay. Thanks, I'll try that USB dongle soon as I can and will disable the Ethernet Adapter Also.

Heres the Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0036&SUBSYS_217F103C&REV_01

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

You can try the below driver. It has the correct Vendor and Device ID along with the Subsys number in the inf file. Dated 2016

It is a zipped file. Unzip to a folder on your hard drive. In the folder you will see 6 files. The files with the x suffix are the ones you keep. These are for 64bit. You can delete the files without an x suffix. 

Right click your Network Adapter in Device Manager and select Update Driver. Select Browse my Computer for Driver Software and browse to the inf file in the unzipped folder. Click Next. Create a Restore Point first.

Click the green download button on the page. It will be a bit before the download begins. 

https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-nr-314-for-atheros-AR9281-and-Windows8.html

#7 lifeovrina

lifeovrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

So I'm not sure if I did it correctly. I unzipped the file into my hard drive and deleted the ones without the x suffix. The problem is when I go to device manger > network adapter > update driver by browsing and I could only click on the folder in my hard drive, I couldn't actually expand the folder.

So instead I clicked the folder and the drive said it has updated successfully, does that mean I did it right?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

Yes, if it said the driver was updated successfully reboot and see if there is an improvement.

#9 lifeovrina

lifeovrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Okay. Thank you! Both options (maximizing power & updating driver) has worked perfectly. There hasn't been any wifi issues anymore.

Thank you so much  :bounce:

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

Your Welcome,

Glad that sorted out the problem and thanks for taking the time to post an update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users