Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access windows after DTFP driver update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kristi4

kristi4

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

I have an ASUS Q302L - came with 8.1, which I "upgraded" to 10. ASUS no longer supports driver updates that adapt to a win 10 upgrade. We are referred to Microsoft & intel for the updates. Anywho, I used a third party, well reviewed driver updater & whelp, end results are - if I hit it just right, I can access the advanced options via F8, so in command prompt I have run chkdsk /f. States everything's good after fixing some sectors. sfc has repeatedly fixed on reboot. I cannot enter safe mode either using F4,5,6 or bcdedit. Restore could be an option if I had a recovery usb. Thought I had one, however I was very sadly mistaken. I put could be an option because in all these crazy loops of windows spinning its wheels diagnosing, fixing, repairing, etc., I seemed to sometimes go from bad to worse back to bad, etc. & the last time I clicked on restore (just for hahas!) it stated that part of windows was locked.... I do have on USB reg restore via tweaking.com. I also have downloaded a copy of win 10 & win8.1 (I was surprised I could do this). Oh, & I have a second computer at my disposal & I can remove the HD from the troubled computer & connect it to the 2nd via usb enabling me to access the contents. I copied all my data. Oh, & since I have delved farther in to these advanced pre-boot or mid-boot options more than ever before, the windows boot manager states I am running windows 8.1. Is this normal after an "upgrade" to 10? Also my BIOS is set to fast boot enabled. CMOS? is that right? - disabled & I did not see anything regarding secure boot, if any of that matters, I dunno.... just sharing....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

If you can access the hard drive to back up all your data I would recommend a clean install using the below guide. You can get the latest version of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. I do not recommend using third party driver update software. Windows 10 will auto update any drivers if needed and if the computer is running fine after the clean install you can disable the ability of Windows 10 to update drivers.

Because this was an upgrade you have a digital license stored on Microsoft servers. Windows will auto activate.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Edit: I would disable fast boot in your UEFI settings. 

Edit: Disable Windows 10 fast startup after the clean install. The setting is in Windows and not your UEFI settings. It creates a hibernation file which can give you problems.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2018 - 11:10 AM.

#3 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

Thank you. I am downloading the ISO right now. What's the best way to go, to try it via the reset option since I am still in the advanced boot options area or shut down & restart?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

You can try a reset with the option to keep your data and see how it goes but you will still need to reinstall your software. If you run into problems then do the clean install.

Because the computer was pre-installed with 8.1 then use the convert gpt command as explained in Brian's guide.

The clean install will delete all your programs and data. If you have purchased software make sure you have the required licenses. This hold true for a reset also.

#5 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

The drive where windows is installed is locked - that's what I get when I try the refresh.

I actually think it's best to do a clean install, which is what the reset would be, however this is what I get when I try that - unable to reset, a required drive partition is missing.

I am a bit confused because at one point during all this mess I did not get these warnings. I got a request to insert recovery media.

Other than run the various fixes I previously mentioned I have not changed anything, so I am unsure why this happened.

Any advice?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Did you follow Brians guide? You would boot the Windows 10 DVD or USB flash drive and open a command prompt to delete all partitions. Doing this you would not get a locked drive error as you are doing this outside of Windows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#7 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

ok. I think I see where I was tilting. I can just enter into command prompt. I was thinking that was something the usb had to boot me into. as long as the usb is ready to go, I can just eter the command prompt through this advanced option area & follow Brian's guide.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

Correct, once you do the diskpart clean command to delete all the partitions and the convert gpt command to initialize the disk as GPT for your UEFI you should be good to go. Just continue with the install. Where you see your hard drive click next and Windows will automatically partition and format the drive for you. I am sure you have only one drive in the computer but if there is two then make sure you are selecting the correct drive in diskpart after listing the disks. The disk you install Windows to is usually disk 0.

#9 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

ok. looks like we're getting there. Installing as I type. I'll let you know how it goes....

#10 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

Good to go.... I have macrium reflect. It came with the SATA - USB connector I purchased years ago. I thought I had taken a snapshot & put the image on a stick, however I apparently did not or not successfully. Will do a better job this time. I thank you for your help & although I learned a lot tooling around, trying this & researching that, I think if/when I run into a snag again, I will head here. May be a better way to learn a lot....

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

Your Welcome, glad you got it sorted and if you have any questions BC is here to help.

Edit: I would recommend you put an image on a USB external HDD vs a flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2018 - 08:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users