Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build your own Free BSD from scratch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:08 AM

Thanks rokytnji

logo07.png

Building A FreeBSD Desktop From Scratch
siteshot7.png

Read more http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/103394-build-your-own-free-bsd-from-scratch/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:32 AM

I don't care for the style of his desktop, but the real information about what he did is at http://trihexagonal.org/tutorial.html and he does a nice job of walking through base install and ports stuff.  The bit on setting up pf is good. 

An easier way is to start here:

As someone who's been rolling their own FreeBSD based desktop since at least v3.3, I appreciate the information from the trihex link, but he left out all the fun stuff of upgrading BASE from source (svn update, make buildworld && make buildkernel && make installkernel && mergemaster -p && reboot with fingers crossed && make installworld && mergemaster) and the rebuild of all your ports (Firefox and X take a crapload of time to rebuild). 

TrueOS has been working fine for me for a while, good community of folks helping out.  The default DE is pretty good;  if you're a GNOME or KDE person you're gonna say it sucks because it works differently, but like any DE if you work within it, it's fine.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:12 AM

I switched to OpenBSD from FreeBSD. Dual booted with Debian (my main general boot, I used OpenBSD for more secure online banking type stuff). In Debian I down the latest bsd.rd snapshot, reboot using that and run Install. Once installed I run a simple configuration and validation script (creates config files and downloads the bsd.rd SHA checksum file and validates the bsd.rd integrity) ... reboot and install firefox. Tracking snapshots (--current) and and using pkg_add (pre-built binaries) ... and there's no need to compile anything. cli install takes around 5 minutes. You can do similar to upgrade (just select Upgrade on booting bsd.rd), I install freshly so I know its clean.

Beauty of OpenBSD over FreeBSD is that its pretty much all pre-configured for you out of the box. It also comes with twm/fvwm/cwm as part of the core system (I prefer twm), and X runs as a restricted levels (more secure than others that run X as root and the known vulnerabilities that presents).

As a daily general boot I find Debian to be better (oldstable and main repositories only ... very stable) and you can stick with that for years whilst getting security patches through very quickly. The repos are more extensive and things just work (very) well. By the time its run through having been stable and drops into being oldstable, problems/tips-tricks etc are well documented. But not so good if you're running the latest hardware (I tend to inherit kit and my present system is 10+ years old).

OpenBSD (-current)

#4 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:15 AM

TriHexagonal is a great guy, very helpful. He also tends to reinstall from fresh rather than upgrade. I believe however that he does compile things rather than installing pre-build binaries.

OpenBSD (-current)

#5 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

I profile messaged TriHexagonal over on the FreeBSD forum about this thread and he replied ...

mention it is a beginners tutorial and why I stick to the basics and don't go into upgrading source. I don't want to join [BleepingComputer] so they will speak their real opinion unhindered.

OpenBSD (-current)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users