Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 loading up a temporary profile after a Windows update.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MovieMaker5087

MovieMaker5087

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

SYSTEM SPECS:
Windows 7 Home Premium 
PC Make: HP 
PC Model: p7-1131
Processor: Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 8GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system

After noticing that Windows recently installed some updates, I got this message about being logged on with a temporary profile. After a Google search and doing the two methods as listed on both this website* and this one, I'm still having my PC boot up with the temp. profile. This issue is serious, as I have crucial files that I need to tend to on my regular profile.

Also, when I tried to change the original .bak profile the first time, I renamed the other profile on there ending with _new. Then, when I went back to check it again after reading I should re-name the one to _temp, I noticed that my renamed profile ending in _new was still there, so now this is what it looks like. I don't know what to rename or delete, so I'm leaving them all alone for now. 

After I post this, I'm going to attempt a System Restore to see if this will possibly fix and un-do the corruption. 

* - I didn't actually go through with the other remaining steps this site had to offer; I didn't want to to go through the hassle of creating a new user account.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MovieMaker5087

MovieMaker5087
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

So I tried to run a System Restore to the last date, which was the Windows Update that was installed on my PC on January 30th. It wasn't able to go through and it said it was probably due to the anti-virus I have on my PC, which would be Panda and Malaware Bytes (but that's never running in the background like Panda is). So, I don't know. I'm going to wait for a reply on here before I proceed further with this.

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:04 AM

You can run system restore in safe mode, then your anti-virus won't be running to interfere.

EDIT..Don't forget sometimes you can just select '' log out'' when you get the temp profile issue and it should then take you to a screen where you can select your real profile and then access your crucial files.

Edited by opera, 02 February 2018 - 01:10 AM.

#4 MovieMaker5087

MovieMaker5087
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

You can run system restore in safe mode, then your anti-virus won't be running to interfere.

EDIT..Don't forget sometimes you can just select '' log out'' when you get the temp profile issue and it should then take you to a screen where you can select your real profile and then access your crucial files.

I ran System Restore. What was interesting was that I was able to see my old profile when it booted up in safe mode, so I know everything is still there. However, after I did the System Restore for when the last Windows Update was installed (1/30/18), it went back to the temporary profile. 

I've done the Log Out thing. Didn't work. 

#5 MovieMaker5087

MovieMaker5087
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Another suggested to create a new administrator account on the computer. Specifically:

Log into it and make sure it works as expected. I'd recommend making a backup of your profile folder (C:\Users<name>) and then go to the registry and follow the steps from the first website you linked to.

If your profile is actually corrupted that may not fix it. With the backup I'd just re-create your user profile and then copy whatever data you need from that backup (Docs, etc)

But I don't know how to do this, and honestly, I don't know if this would transfer over all the downloaded programs I have that I use all the time. This solution I feel would be the last resort, as it would cause more drama than I need, as these programs and their files would have to be restored. 

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

According to Microsoft the procedure you are using is for when you see a message like this:

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Read about that here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

I don't think that is the same as when you see the message posting in your first screenshot.

If you did not see that message the problem and solution might be different.

Microsoft does have instructions on how to deal with the message you showed and that is here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 MovieMaker5087

MovieMaker5087
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

How do I know if my computer is on a domain or in a workgroup?

Also, it seems that there will be some copying and pasting going on here. Will this effect programs such as my video editing software and their file locations and, in general, these programs running, or will I have to reinstall every program that I use?

Edited by MovieMaker5087, 04 February 2018 - 09:02 PM.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:26 AM

Sometimes when you see that message about a temporary profile simply restarting the system and logging in again will get things going normally but that is sometimes.

If you are not connected to a corporate network controlled and run by network administrators you are most likely in a workgroup - just a home user.

Let's ask Google:

[attachment=202071:Untitled.jpg]

On your Desktop right click my Computer, Properties

Look in the section Computer name, domain and workgroup settings and see if you see the word Domain or do you see Workgroup (most likely Workgroup):

[attachment=202072:1.jpg]

If you follow the instructions, you are not going to delete anything from the suspicious/corrupted profile.

You are going to create a new user and copy parts (not all) of the details from the corrupted profile to the fresh, new user profile you just created.  Nothings gets deleted and nothing should need to be reinstalled.

The old suspicious/corrupted profile will remain on your system and you can choose to deal with is some some other time.  If something goes wrong in the process you have not deleted anything so your original profile will still have the exact same stuff it had before you started.

Here are some copy/paste details I have that might make you feel better about things.

If your current profile is corrupted and you make a new/replacement user and follow the instructions you should not have to reinstall any programs.

When a user profile gets corrupted and Windows logs you into a temporary profile folks panic because they might not see or notice the message, they see their Windows desktop is missing all the familiar icons and shortcuts and it looks like all their personal files/folders are missing (but they are not really missing).

If you see the taskbar and desktop with just a few icons and it appear that all or most of your installed programs and personal files are "missing" it could be that you have a corrupted user profile...

It is extremely unlikely that all your documents (or anything else) has vanished or been deleted...  they are just in a place where you can't see or find them

This condition sounds like a corrupted user profile.

Sometimes (for some reason) Windows has a problem reading your profile information when you login and that condition could just be temporary and simply restarting your system will get things going again and if that works you should keep an eye on things because it could be a sign of a bigger problem.

When your user profile is corrupted Windows will log you in to a temporary profile and that temporary profile is not going to have any of the things that you are used to seeing - but you can fix it.

Every user on your system has a user profile and under each user profile are all the things what belong to that user - the Windows desktop, the taskbar, the All Programs menus, Documents, Music, Images, etc.  Each user has their own set of these and if Windows has logged you in to a temporary profile you are not going to see any of these things.

You can use Explorer to navigate to the c:\Users folder and look for a folder that has the same name as the user profile you are used to using - that is where all your "missing" items are.  You might see something like this in the Users folder:

[attachment=202073:0.jpg]

When your user profile is corrupted Windows will log you in to a temporary profile and that temporary profile is not going to have any of the things that you are used to seeing - but you can usually recover everything missing from a corrupted user profile.

When you login you might briefly see a message "Preparing your desktop" followed by a message like this:

[attachment=202074:2.jpg]

That message will fade away leaving you with a desktop with just a few icons - maybe all you see are a few basic things like a Recycle Bin.

A temporary profile does not last...  as soon as you shutdown or logoff the temporary profile is deleted and when you restart your system or login again you will see the same thing again (a good thing to test).

Sometimes the problem is temporary and if you restart your system a few times things might start working again (lucky you) but if that does not work you are going to have to create a new Windows user and copy parts of the afflicted user profile to the new user profile.

Another quick test to verify the problem of a corrupted user profile is to open a Command Prompt window and see what the prompt says:

Open a Command Prompt window and tell us what the prompt says:

[attachment=202075:3.jpg]

Normally the Command Prompt window will open in the Users folder that belongs to that user like this for user Jose:

[attachment=202076:4.jpg]

If the prompt looks like this, it means your login profile is corrupted and you have been logged in to a temporary profile (it says TEMP):

[attachment=202077:5.jpg]

When you open a Command Prompt window what does your prompt say?

Enter 'exit' to close the Command Prompt window.

If your user profile is corrupted and fails repeatedly to login, you cannot fix or salvage it - you must create a new Windows user account and copy most (not all) of the files from your corrupted profile to the new user account and then use that new account from now on.

Microsoft has an article that tells you how to do that:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

The problem is likely that one of these files in the afflicted user profile is corrupted so don't copy these to the new user account:

• Ntuser.dat
  • Ntuser.dat.log
  • Ntuser.ini

One of those files has the corruption in it so you don't want to bring those corrupted files (or any that look like it) into the new user account you have created.

For example you would NOT want to copy files that looks like these from the corrupted profile into the new profile:

[attachment=202078:6.jpg]

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 MovieMaker5087

MovieMaker5087
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

Thanks so much man. In answering your question, when I open a Command Prompt window, all it says is (after the version info. and copyright date) C:\Windows\system32. It does not say a user name, it does not say Temp. And I just accessed the Command Prompt like I normally would using the Temporary Profile's search function when you click the Start button. 

Link to Command Prompt screenshot. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users