Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen glitch/crash on restarts

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jm5150

jm5150

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

HP Spectre X2 12-a001dx (detachable)

Windows 10  v.1607

Screen glitches out on restarts or  any action that turns the screen off and back on quickly.

The screen will get distorted horizontal lines that cascade from bottom to top until a flicker and complete screen crash.

If i press the power button to turn off the screen (or sleep) and turn it back on right away it will do this and crash (i can turn it back on eventually)If i turn it off and wait 5 seconds and turn it back on it has zero issue.

Upon restarts the scren turns itself off for 1 second and back on. The lines cascade up te screen, the screen crashes and Windows fails to load. There is still power to the system but no screen until a hard reset. This means I am unable to update ANYTHING that requires a restart... which is a lot.

I did run a test with an external monitor which was interesting. 

screen glitches on quick turn offs and restarts

-On a quick off and on of the monitor the laptop display glitched and crashed but the external monitor didnt and continued to run windows normally. 

-On a restart the external display bleeps off upon powerdown. Laptop display glitches and crashes. after 20 seconds only  the external monitor comes but its blank. No boot of windows whatsoever but its clear power is being sent to the external display.

I have also noticed it does it less if the system is recently turned on and not overpowered or overheated. Its a closed system. Core M3 processor, SSD,  so there are no fans, but the system doesnt get that hot, just noticeably warm if working hard (i.e trying to install windows 10 v.1703)

Ive run hardware test, all pass.

Ive run EVERY test, all pass

Ive uninstalled the display adapter- no fix

Ive reinstalled the display adapter-no fix

Ive updated and rolled back the display driver- no fix 

Ive updated BIOS- no fix 

Not sure if its a hardware or software issue. a new screen will run $500 which cost more than simply buying the same device new at this point, so Im hoping this is not the issue since other than restarts the screen works perfectly fine.

Its down to a registry issue somehow (but slim considering external monitor test)

a Windows issues (again slim)

a Display , digitizer or cable issue

a motherboard issues seeing as its "power" related to the screen going off then on quickly.

Any thoughts on weird power issues to the screen upon turning off then on and how to fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users