Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insider Preview Builds - Would a dedicated forum be useful?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

Was curious if our members thought it would be useful to have a dedicated insider preview forum so people can discuss new features and the various builds as they are released?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Personally, even though I'm no longer participating as a Windows Insider, I think this is a good idea.   It allows those who are Insiders to discuss all sorts of changes that may or may not make it out in the next feature update that would mean absolutely nothing to those on the regular release of Windows 10.

It also gives those who are on the regular release a place to go where they might ask about or see from conversations what may be coming down the pike.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

As you can tell from our single thread, there is not much activity.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576964/technical-preview-build-updatesnews/

I was the last one that posted to that thread, and that was last Oct. I do not personally think that an Insiders Forum would get much traffic, but I could be wrong.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

Well, there's reasonable traffic on this discussion forum because it's highly visible as a subforum.   There might be quite a bit more traffic if the Insiders were a second subforum of the broader Windows 10 forum.

People need to know something's there and then it takes time for momentum to build.  My observation is that those who are Insiders tend to like to discuss a lot of what's going on in the builds they're using, but that would not be encouraged in the general Windows 10 support forum (and shouldn't be, in my opinion).  It's difficult enough dealing with two, often three Versions that are all out there "in the wild" at any one time without dealing with the preview releases in the same venue.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

Grinler, I so appreciate how you reach out to your community to get a feel as to what additions/changes to make in your forum! As many other members, I have some initial thoughts I’m chewing on about the idea.

From this article: https://www.windowscentral.com/all-you-need-know-about-windows-insider-rings

<-snip-> Microsoft's Window Insider program is a vast and sprawling machine that is constantly growing and improving. Rings are an important part of that project to make "Windows as a Service" (WaaS) where the OS is just constantly and perpetually updated and improved.

Which ring you choose depends on how many devices you may have, how much of a risk taker you are and how many issues you are willing to deal with for a release.

I find that there is not a “one size” fits all Windows Insider program (WIP) there are several different builds taking place at any one time. I like how the (four) rings were broken down and descriptions were given in the article.

1. Fast Ring
  2. Slow Ring
  3. Release Preview
  4. Production Ring

Knowing that the WIP has these 4 rings, it seems to me that those who would post information in this new forum would need to carefully call out what “ring” they are participating in, or it could really get really confusing (especially for those using and adjusting to Win10 “main” OS.) Would one of the moderators be in charge of making sure that every post includes what ring is being discussed?

From what I read, the fast ring alone can have updates arrive every two weeks.

What audience would this WIP forum speak to? Would those experiencing less than thrilling experiences with Windows 10 “main” OS benefit from this WIP forum reporting?

I’m not sure that those participating in any of the WIP rings would have the time, or elect to take the time to stop and provide continuous updates in this potential new forum? The good, bad or ugly. (I find it frequently mentioned in the Windows 10 Discussion forum that the happy Windows 10 "main" OS users do not take time to post their happiness and successes, why would those in the WIP participants do so? Just a thought)

Thank you for encouraging participation to contemplate this addition.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:52 PM

How many insiders do we have on the site?

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

How many insiders do we have on the site?

That would make a nice poll. I for one try to keep an insider build installed but there have been some major technical problems with the newest insider builds from all of the talk on the dedicated forum. The last build made my system crash so bad it even effected my Linux installation so right now I running a regular build.

We expect that Microsoft will release RS4 to the public in early April, so the insider builds are coming fast and furious right now. A lot of action for the Windows 10 insiders in the next few weeks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

There should definitely be an insider sub forum. I am an insider and would love to discuss insider builds.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:53 AM

OK will get one setup soon! Thanks for the feedback!

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

FEBRUARY 23, 2018 10:02 AM

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17107 for Fast Ring:

<-Snip->

Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17107 (RS4) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. There won’t be a new build this week for Windows Insiders who opted into Skip Ahead.

What’s new in Build 17107 Windows Update Improvements

Keeping PCs Up-to-date: In an effort to prevent PCs from becoming out of date, we are introducing a change in behavior to Windows Update that is designed to be more proactive at keeping PCs updated. In RS4, now when Windows Update scans, downloads, and installs on a PC with AC power – it will prevent the PC from going to sleep when it is not in active use, for up to 2 hours when receiving an update in order to give Windows Update more opportunity to succeed. If you are not seeing this new behavior, let us know by sending in feedback via Feedback Hub.

<- Continue reading in the blog for the full scope of this preview build: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/02/23/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17107-fast-ring/#V1c2cmJPr54exDVt.97 ->

#11 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

FEBRUARY 27, 2018 10:01 AM

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17110 for Fast

By Dona Sarkar and Brandon LeBlanc

Hello Windows Insiders!

Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17110 (RS4) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.

What’s new in Build 17110

Improvements for Enterprise Customers in RS4

Enterprises can now run custom actions during feature update: In RS4, we are adding a new feature that will enable your enterprise to run your own custom actions/scripts synchronously with setup. Setup will execute custom actions during two update phases controlled by using preinstall.cmd or precommit.cmd:

• Pre-install: This would be just before all the system and device compatibility scans run.
  • Pre-commit: This would be just before the system reboots into the offline phase.

Setup also migrates the scripts for future updates. In the event of an update failure or rollback, a failure.cmd script can be used to perform custom operations or undo actions of previous custom scripts.

Run (Migrate):

• C:\Windows\System32\update\run\<GUID>\preinstall.cmd
  • C:\Windows\System32\update\run\<GUID>\precommit.cmd
  • C:\Windows\System32\update\run\<GUID>\failure.cmd
  • C:\Windows\System32\update\run\<GUID>\reflectdrivers\foo.inf
  • C:\Windows\System32\update\run\<GUID>\reflectdrivers\foo.sys

Run Once (Do not migrate):

• C:\Windows\System32\update\runonce\<GUID>\preinstall.cmd
  • C:\Windows\System32\update\runonce\<GUID>\precommit.cmd
  • C:\Windows\System32\update\runonce\<GUID>\failure.cmd
  • C:\Windows\System32\update\runonce\<GUID>\reflectdrivers\bar.inf
  • C:\Windows\System32\update\runonce\<GUID>\reflectdrivers\bar.sys

Enterprises can run post rollback scripts in system context : Current /postrollback scripts run if the first user logs in after the rollback has admin privileges. We received feedback from several enterprises that most of their employees don’t have admin privileges. With RS4, we are enabling /postrollback scripts to run in admin context or system context.

We are not changing the behavior of the existing /postrollback switch. We have added a new switch /postrollbackcontext “xxx” to be used along with /postrollback switch to specify in which context should the scripts be executed:

• To run /postrollback scripts in system context

–        setup.exe /postrollback c:\Fabrikam\setuprollback.cmd /postrollbackcontext system

• To run /postrollback scripts with first user to login have admin privileges (admin context)

–        setup.exe /postrollback c:\Fabrikam\setuprollback.cmd /postrollbackcontext admin

Windows containers

Docker for Windows users, we are flighting the matching Windows container images of Server Core and Nano Server to the Docker Hub for continued testing and feedback.  Thank you for all the great feedback and please keep it coming!

General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC

• We fixed an issue where buttons on Game bar were not centered correctly.
  • We fixed an issue where a small number of PCs might have experienced one CPU under persistent high load or even a bugcheck (GSOD with error DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION).
  • We fixed an issue where tearing a PDF tab in Microsoft Edge would result in a bugcheck (GSOD).
  • We’ve updated Start so that it now follows the new Ease of Access setting to enable or disable hiding scrollbars.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in some app icons appearing distorted in Task View.
  • We fixed an issue where making a pinch gesture over the open apps in Task View might result in no longer being able to scroll down to Timeline.
  • We fixed an issue where pressing and holding on a card in Timeline would open the corresponding app, rather than bringing up a context menu.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the title bar overlapping content when you opened your lists in Cortana’s notebook.
  • We’ve updated the new notification to fix blurry apps so that it now will persist in the Action Center to be accessed later once the toast has timed out and dismissed.
  • We fixed an issue where it wasn’t possible to open a new inPrivate window of Microsoft Edge from the taskbar jumplist while in Tablet Mode.
  • We fixed an issue where dragging a Microsoft Edge tab out of the window and releasing hold of it somewhere over the desktop might periodically result in a stuck invisible window.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in DirectAccess not working in recent builds, where the connection would be stuck with status “Connecting”.
  • We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard number pad would show the period as a decimal separator for countries that use the comma as a decimal separator.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to turn on and off third-party IMEs using the touch keyboard.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in numbers not being inserted when flicking up on the top row of letters in the wide touch keyboard layout.

Known issues

• Selecting a notification after taking a screenshot or game clip opens the Xbox app’s home screen instead of opening the screenshot or game clip.
  • Post-install at the first user-prompted reboot or shutdown, a small number of devices have experienced a scenario wherein the OS fails to load properly and may enter a reboot loop state. For affected PCs, turning off fast boot may bypass the issue. If not, it is necessary to create a bootable USB from an ISO, boot into recovery mode, and this will allow bypass.
  • When Movies & TV user denies access to its videos library (through the “Let Movies & TV access your videos library?” popup window or through Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user navigates to the “Personal” tab.
  • [ADDED] We are investigating reports that the Microsoft Store is no longer working (and appearing on Start/All apps/Taskbar) after updating to this build. See this forum post for details.

No downtime for Hustle-As-A-Service,

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

The latest insider build is causing so many problems with the sleep function of hardware that many insiders, including myself, has had to abandon the program for awhile. Microsoft needs to fix the sleep function soon because we are expecting 1804 to go public in a few weeks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

Have they now bumped the next release number officially to 1804?   When I last heard, which wasn't long ago, it was 1803.  [And, yes, I know that while 1803 means the intended release is in March 2018 what is intended and what actually happens is often different.]

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

When I installed the latest insider build it was labelled in my command prompt as 1704 build 17110.100. That means that the retail version should go public by the end of March.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

Insider previews now has its own dedicated forum!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/246/windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

I have also moved this topic into this new forum :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users