Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redhat Linux in Desktop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

Hi All,

What are your opinion and views about using RHEL on Desktop for personal and work?

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 01 February 2018 - 06:40 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:44 AM

I've been using Linux as a desktop at work for a long time (say 10 to 15 years), different distributions.

You need to keep in mind the differences between Fedora, CentOS and RHEL.  Fedora is basically cutting edge, geared more towards desktop users, CentOS and RHEL are a little more server/enterprise focussed.  They update differently which is a big thing and RHEL you pay for support and extra features.

CentOS and RHEL keep roughly the same version of kernel for a given release (R5, R6, R7), updates to the kernel are fixes and backports from newer versions.  That means you wind up with a kernel version that may say "2.6.38" but it has some features of a 4.x kernel.

Fedora, they're not tied down.

All that said:

Any of them work fine as a desktop.  I think Fedora is the easiest to set up as a desktop, default Desktop Environment is Gnome (love it or hate it), but you can install other DEs (KDE, LXDE, XFCE). 

"Needed Applications" are what really drives the choice.  What do you want to do, what do you need to interoperate with?

LIbreOffice is available for "office" stuff, Thunderbird works for email (ClawsMail is another good one), Firefox and Chrome are available for Web stuff, software development has tons of tools available.  About the only application space that is limited is video/photo editing.  There are programs available to do that, but they may lack some features compared to Adobe and others, but they are more than functional for 95% of what you need to do.

If you're thinking RHEL, I'd start with latest Fedora and only change if needed.  Ubuntu is another good one for working right out of the box.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

Redhat is actually a rather poor choice as a desktop linux experience.

I mean yes on one hand its commercially available, is well known in some areas and is great on workstations.

But as a common desktop linux choice.... its rather poor.

I would not go for it.

For most users especially those new to linux redhat is one of the last places I would look.

I would use a linux like Linux mint instead:

https://linuxmint.com/

Linux mint is easy to use, install and has no upfront charges.

If you really must have a commercial experience where you fork over money for support as opposed to getting it for free via the community there are better places to look.

Zorin OS is a good option:

https://zorinos.com/

Buuuuuut....

All that said:

Any of them work fine as a desktop.  I think Fedora is the easiest to set up as a desktop, default Desktop Environment is Gnome (love it or hate it), but you can install other DEs (KDE, LXDE, XFCE). 

Ugh I find anaconda a terrible installer and gnome shell sucks.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#4 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

"....Ugh I find anaconda a terrible installer and gnome shell sucks."

I'm not disagreeing with you on that, but most folks only install once and then upgrade as needed.  I've always detested Gnome and KDE, that's why I run a simple WindowMaker window manager or LXDE/XFCE.  They use less resources and I can configure them out of my way.

All that said, since the OP specifically asked about RedHat, I was trying to stay within the boundaries he set with my recommendations.  Are their other distributions that may be better suited to his use case?  Maybe, but since he didn't detail any specifics other than "...is RedHat...." I didn't bring up any other distirbutions.

"...But as a common desktop linux choice.... its rather poor." 

That needs to have the caveat "In my opinion"  because there are folks that would disagree with you.

RedHat has no upfront charges either.  The cost comes with entitlements for support and upgrades.

CentOS is the community edition of RHEL, again available at no cost, but no support and missing a few features that RedHat charges for.

Fedora has no cost, community based support, just like most other distributions.

Everyone has opinions on what distributions are better/worse/the best/the worst, if someone asks about a specific one, why not keep

answers in that realm?

This almost sounds like it should be part of the topic

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/669313/linux-misconceptions-that-you-hate/

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

I am the one who created that topic you know as for what you said yes you can get redhat for free like any other distribution but they still request you purchase it

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

Yes, I know you created that other topic, yes I know RedHat still wants you to pay for it, that may have changed (it's been a while since I've actually looked), but my main point was the OP of this thread asked about RedHat;  if it's not your favorite distribution that's fine, but it can still be used as a desktop.  We have no idea if the OP is new to Linux or not, we have no specifics on his use case.  So answer his question and simply say "if we knew more... there may be other distributions better suited".

It's like when you hire a plumber to  do some work and the first thing they say is "who did this crap?".

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

Still though if they are just getting into linux redhat is not where I would start, again i get why they may be asking about redhat as redhat is one of the few linux distros that have had media exposure but there are other linux flavors to look at.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Hi,
Thank you for your views.

"All that said, since the OP specifically asked about RedHat, I was trying to stay within the boundaries he set with my recommendations. Are their other distributions that may be better suited to his use case? Maybe, but since he didn't detail any specifics other than "...is RedHat...." I didn't bring up any other distirbutions."

I am interested to get into the command line magics & scripting on rpm builds rather than 'just enjoy the gui' thingy.
I am looking onto linux certs at the core.

I have been a fan of Ubuntu distro from a couple of years, so now getting usedto on rpm based distro is a task in front of me.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:37 PM

That's cool I just wanted to make sure about your experience level working with Linux was. Now as for your question I would still say Cent OS might be a better option because redhat does have certain policies using their distribution such as registering it and buying it outright. I mean Fedora is a good option as well especially if you want a RPM Linux distribution but it is a little bit on the Cutting Edge side of things and you may want a more stable base to learn the ropes with

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

Hi,
Thank you for your views.

"All that said, since the OP specifically asked about RedHat, I was trying to stay within the boundaries he set with my recommendations. Are their other distributions that may be better suited to his use case? Maybe, but since he didn't detail any specifics other than "...is RedHat...." I didn't bring up any other distirbutions."

I am interested to get into the command line magics & scripting on rpm builds rather than 'just enjoy the gui' thingy.
I am looking onto linux certs at the core.

I have been a fan of Ubuntu distro from a couple of years, so now getting usedto on rpm based distro is a task in front of me.

CentOS would be a great choice for your situation.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

CentOS would be a great choice for your situation.

+1! :thumbup2:

Although many doesn't realise it, CentOS is the developer or Preview OS for next-gen RedHat, there's sometimes great packages that doesn't make the final cut & can be kept, if desired. :)

So basically it's a free version of the next RedHat in Preview, much the same way that the current Chromium browser is the next Google Chrome or the current Chromium OS is the next Google Chrome one. Users of CentOS will generally have more choices of software over RedHat, because they're testing everything. So think of CenOS as a free version of RedHat w/out the price tag for support. 

While CentOS is a far more steep learning curve over Ubuntu & the distros based from it, notably Linux Mint, once mastered,, one canmake the transition to RedHat with ease. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users