Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Compatibility?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vilatus

Vilatus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

Hi everyone!

So I'm considering upgrading my graphics card to a newer model. I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750. I'd like to be able to play newer games in high quality, so I think its time. Does anyone have any recommendations/how do I know what cards are compatible with my PC?

Also, if I find a compatible card that I like, how do I install it? Does anyone know of any good tutorials or can you give me a basic rundown?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

Need more information on your current PC.

When you upgrade your graphics card you need to check the slot it uses and if your power supply will support it.  While you can put a PCIe3 card in a PCIe2 slot you will be only able to get PCIe2 performance out of it, possibly negating the purpose of your purchase.

Another thing to consider may be the length of the card.  Some cases prevent you from installing a longer card.

Install is normally pretty easy, once you get the case open.  Remove the screws holding the current card in.  Pull the current card, there is a clip on the rear of the slot you will need to release.  Insert the new card and connect required power cables.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Also hold off on getting a new GPU as cryptocurrency minerws have robbed the market of GPU's making them cost more than they should.

Wait a month or two

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Vilatus

Vilatus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

Need more information on your current PC.

When you upgrade your graphics card you need to check the slot it uses and if your power supply will support it.  While you can put a PCIe3 card in a PCIe2 slot you will be only able to get PCIe2 performance out of it, possibly negating the purpose of your purchase.

Another thing to consider may be the length of the card.  Some cases prevent you from installing a longer card.

Install is normally pretty easy, once you get the case open.  Remove the screws holding the current card in.  Pull the current card, there is a clip on the rear of the slot you will need to release.  Insert the new card and connect required power cables.

I'm so sorry for the late reply... I never got any alerts that my thread was updated. 

How do I check what power supply I have? Do I need to pop my PC open and look?

My case is pretty large, so I'm not super concerned about that.

Also hold off on getting a new GPU as cryptocurrency minerws have robbed the market of GPU's making them cost more than they should.

Wait a month or two

Sorry to you as well, I never got a notification that this thread updated.

Oh, thanks for telling me! I've seen a GTX 1060 for about $200, is that normal?

Edited by Vilatus, 08 February 2018 - 10:45 AM.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

I'm so sorry for the late reply... I never got any alerts that my thread was updated. 

How do I check what power supply I have? Do I need to pop my PC open and look?

Yep. Picture from PSU sticker helps a lot.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

Oh, thanks for telling me! I've seen a GTX 1060 for about $200, is that normal?

There are 3 Gb & 6 Gb versions.  That is a good price for a 3 Gb version (average selling price online around $300) and exceptional for a 6 Gb (typically $4-500 at the moment).

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users