Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should you keep your laptop plugged in?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

I have a fairly new Acer laptop and I almost always use it at home where I have easy access to AC.  I have been running it on battery power and then charging it when the notice prompts me to.  I use my laptop many hours a day so the discharge and charge cycle happens 2 or 3 times a day.

I recently read an article that claims laptop batteries have a life of approx. 1000 charges - i.e. when the battery has discharged and then re-charged approx. 1000 times, the battery life is over and it's time for a new battery (I don't even know if it's possible to replace the battery in my Acer).  Is this claim true?  Also, does it make sense for me to just keep my laptop plugged in to AC?

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

What is the model number of the Acer? On the older laptops you could easily remove the battery and use only the power adapter. With the newer laptops it's a major chore to remove the battery. I would doubt you would have a problem of finding another battery and replacing it in the Acer, unlike something like the Microsoft SurfacePro 4.

You are correct. A battery only has so many recharge cycles. If you have Windows 8 or 10 you can do a battery report and see what the battery charge capacity is vs it's designed capacity.

https://www.laptopmag.com/g00/articles/generate-battery-report-windows-10?i10c.encReferrer=&i10c.ua=1

#3 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

Batteries do degrade over time and charging them is a cause of this degradation. My current laptop can run off the AC power alone and when I know it's going to be stationary for extended periods of time I usually take the battery off and keep it plugged in. (My battery just clips off thankfully)

Edited by C0bra, 01 February 2018 - 09:46 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#4 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

Thank you both for your prompt replies, I greatly appreciate it.

What is the model number of the Acer? 

If you have Windows 8 or 10 you can do a battery report and see what the battery charge capacity is vs it's designed capacity.

The model # is ESI-520-46BE.

I have Windows 10 so thank you for the link explaining how to achieve a battery report.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Here is a video showing the battery removal. Another reason I don't like the newer laptops. 

#6 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for your input JohnC_21.  YIKES! Removing a battery these days is a nightmare! 

:smash:

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,616 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

The difficulty in removing a battery varies widely these days.  The two HP laptops I bought recently still have the classic "click in - click out" arrangement and many others do, too.  The worst I've seen in most conventional laptops (which means not the Surface or virtually any convertible-to-tablet) is that two screws are used to hold the battery in place rather than the old spring-loaded clips.

That's not to say that there aren't nightmares out there, but a lot of it depends on exactly how the device is intended to be used.  Most tablets are nightmares.

P.S.:  The powercfg /batteryreport command works just fine in PowerShell with admin privileges as well as in Command Prompt

Edited by britechguy, 01 February 2018 - 10:50 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

Thank you for the info britechguy.

#9 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:42 PM

But should you in fact keep a laptop plugged in at all times?

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:21 AM

Mines always Plugged in at home Daily:

An Older Post here may give you an Insight and some Answers 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/659022/should-i-leave-my-charger-plugged-in-at-%100-battery/

#11 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

Havachat, thank you so much for the link.  It answered my question perfectly.  I greatly appreciate your input.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,616 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

But should you in fact keep a laptop plugged in at all times?

This is, ultimately, an unanswerable question for a third party.

I generally keep mine plugged in at all times except when I need to "grab and go" and know I won't be using the laptop more than 2 to 3 hours off charger.  I have never noticed much difference in battery life when I follow this practice than when I was religious about allowing the battery to drain to around 50% or lower and plugging in the charger only then.

It makes even less difference if your machine has lithium ion batteries (as anyone with a smartphone can tell you, the number of charge cycles on these is much higher than NiCd or NiMH batteries and they don't mind being constantly trickle charged).   I actually do deep discharge and recharge cycles on the smartphones I've used far more than I ever have with a laptop (which gets used in place of a desktop for most of the time I'm using it.  I stopped buying desktop units when laptops became every bit as reliable and stopped being priced at a ridiculous premium).

You have to read up on batteries and then make your choice depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

Thanks.  I have a Chromebook that I leave plugged in now 24/7.  I tripped over the power code.  In the process it messed up the female portion of the connection.  Long story short -- It messed up the connection and it took me several hours taking it apart and getting it to charge again.  The stoopid thing is soldered in.  I no longer have such soldering skills and no one in my city works at that level.

I finally got it plugged in again so that it would charge.  It stays plugged in now.

#14 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

(which gets used in place of a desktop for most of the time I'm using it.  I stopped buying desktop units when laptops became every bit as reliable and stopped being priced at a ridiculous premium).

Me too, using my laptop in place of a desktop - for the same reason as you.  Thanks for confirming what I figured made sense.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

I leave mine in all the time 5 years now, only unplugging once in awhile to cycle the battery.  First battery lasted a little over 3 years, second is after market will see how long it lasts.

Edited by OldPhil, 03 February 2018 - 02:15 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users