Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a Wireless Mouse Have a Virus?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 paulyjustin

paulyjustin

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:52 AM

I recently purchased a wireless mouse online. However, the mouse is coming from a 3rd party. Such as imagine buying it from amazon with 3rd party or through ebay.

Im now wondering... is there a chance a wireless mouse could possibly have virus? Because im wondering if i should order the mouse again on best buy or through amazon again if they have it in stock? Or is this something that one should not worry about.

Also on a related question. Let say the mouse you bought was new but it was actually refurbished. Or let say you bought a refurbished mouse. If you did, wouldn't that mean there is a possible chance the mouse could infect your computer etc? Or if the mouse came shipped to you but it came without the box as in original packaging. Would you say its best to not use that mouse for security reasons etc?

Well i googled and read about mousejack. So are you sure not 100 percent?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,465 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

No.

#3 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

Technically speaking a mouse can contain a virus, that's if it has enough write-able internal memory to store one. That's probably why you're reading about it on the internet. Odds of a mouse having a virus? I'd probably peg it close to 0% - you're more likely to get a virus browsing the internet. Stop worrying so much. 

Edited by C0bra, 01 February 2018 - 08:14 AM.

IT Service Technician - Computer Gamer - iPhone Expert 

nIDwkQT.gif

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,465 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

Technically speaking a mouse can contain a virus, that's if it has enough write-able internal memory to store one. That's probably why you're reading about it on the internet. Odds of a mouse having a virus? I'd probably peg it close to 0% - you're more likely to get a virus browsing the internet. Stop worrying so much. 

That would pertain to the EXTREMELY few that were ever made with built in memory / macros. Bottom line now, for all extents and purposes a wireless mouse can neither have nor transmit a virus.

#5 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

That would pertain to the EXTREMELY few that were ever made with built in memory / macros. Bottom line now, for all extents and purposes a wireless mouse can neither have nor transmit a virus.

That would be why I mentioned the odds are almost 0%...

nIDwkQT.gif

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

The mouse itself is unlikely to have anything malicious, but if you install any software that came with the mouse... that could be a different story

#7 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

The mouse itself is unlikely to have anything malicious, but if you install any software that came with the mouse... that could be a different story

Bingo! Started thinking about that too.

nIDwkQT.gif

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

Bingo! Started thinking about that too.

Also not at all likely if it was on an OEM CD.

If this is a serious concern then go to the manufacturer's support page for the mouse and download the latest software from there (which is generally what I do anyway, as most of what ships with any given item is outdated long before you purchase it, anyway).

As has been stated, the probability of any sort of infection coming from a mouse, mouse driver, or mouse feature control software is vanishingly close to zero.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

The OP stated:

I recently purchased a wireless mouse online. However, the mouse is coming from a 3rd party

The OP or anybody else for that matter can not know what could be on a "software/driver" disk from a third party

Edited by Joe C, 01 February 2018 - 11:34 AM.

#10 paulyjustin

paulyjustin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

Well if you buy it from a legit site say directly from amazon or best buy or say staples.com... then surely chances are almost 0 then right?  But if you order it through ebay or 3rd party from amazon, there is slight chance?  I read article that someone bought a phone through ebay used and then their computer got hacked because their credit card etc got maxed out etc.  

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

The OP stated:

I recently purchased a wireless mouse online. However, the mouse is coming from a 3rd party

The OP or anybody else for that matter can not know what could be on a "software/driver" disk from a third party

Well, if I buy, say, an HP wireless mouse used, and get the mouse and an HP CD that was clearly created by HP and is not rewritable and has the correct identifying information that matches the mouse it came with, I'm willing to believe that it's the CD that came with the mouse.

Also, we don't exactly know what 3rd party means here.   It us utterly common for vendors selling new to contract to list on Amazon, Walmart.com, etc.   Why would anyone rationally worry about this?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#12 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

Well if you buy it from a legit site say directly from amazon or best buy or say staples.com... then surely chances are almost 0 then right?  But if you order it through ebay or 3rd party from amazon, there is slight chance?  I read article that someone bought a phone through ebay used and then their computer got hacked because their credit card etc got maxed out etc.  

Your reference is a phone? Come on, that's far from a mouse, a phone literally has the ability to store programmable memory, there's a massive difference here. Most peripherals like mice and keyboards don't have programmable memory. This story you're referring to, was it proven that the phone was the cause? 

As literally everyone here has said, there's no issue. There are so many factors that would have to align for a mouse to have programmable memory (most don't), enough memory to store it (again, most don't) that it would literally be almost impossible. The mouse would have to be designed to hold a virus, which is why I wouldn't trust a random, no name branded mouse. If this is a Logitech or similarly well known branded mouse, stop worrying.

Edited by C0bra, 01 February 2018 - 12:14 PM.

nIDwkQT.gif

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

There is a certain amount of trust we must have for anything we connect to our computer.  Almost anything you connect to your computer could have a virus.

You don't mention the make or model of the mouse.  If it comes with a USB dongle, that could be used to infect your computer, or destroy your USB port and or motherboard.

As others have said, it is very unlikely that the mouse, or the dongle that may come with it, would infect your machine.  Any included software is more likely.  I normally download any required software from the company as any software packaged with hardware has most likely been updated since it was boxed.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

Why all this focus on a mouse?

In my limited experience...the mouse itself is more likely to fail and need to be replaced...than to assume that anything as nefarious as malware is at work.

If you take your system to a shop...they will plug in a shop mouse, keyboard, and monitor to access your system and attempt to troubleshoot system problems. I would say that all this focus on a mouse for anything other than a computer peripheral...is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Louis

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

Yes it's extremely unlikely that a virus will be on a mouse granted yes there are mice that sometimes have certain firmware on them such as Razer mice but it is very unlikely that a mouse that you buy online will contain a virus

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users