Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Connect to Wifi Network with Windows 7 After Reformat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:16 AM

Hi everyone

Got a bit of a problem that I hope someone could be able to help me with.

I recently reformatted an old Dell E5520 Laptop and installed my own personal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. However, I can't seem to connect to my home network using the built-in wireless adapter (Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205, Dual Band). When I try to connect, I get a message from the Network Sharing Center panel that says:

Windows was unable to connect to NETWORKNAME

When I check the Event Viewer logs, it says:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxx. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

The drivers I have are updated. I downloaded them directly from the Dell Website.

Things that I have tried:

• Connecting via Ethernet. This works. I am able to access the network, and use the internet connection too.
  • Moving my laptop closer to the router
  • Disabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter
  • Disabling the Windows Firewall
  • Restarting the router
  • Uninstalling/reinstalling the driver
  • Running "netsh winsock reset", "netsh int ip reset", "netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log" and netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log" through the command prompt
  • Checking if any filtering was present on the router
  • Disabling TCP/IPv6 for that respective adapter
  • Manually connecting to the network, by typing in the SSID, encryption type and password
  • Updated my chipset drivers, just in case.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

When you reformatted Windows Ultimate is it at SP1?

Open Device Manager. Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your Wifi adapter under the Network Adapter heading? 

Download the intel drive for Windows 7 if you have not done so. Uninstall the current driver. Create a Restore Point and install the below driver. I have found that Dell can have some wonky drivers on their site.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27239/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-Centrino-Advanced-N-6205?product=59471

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 February 2018 - 12:42 PM.

#3 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

When you reformatted Windows Ultimate is it at SP1?

Yes, Windows 7 is fully up to do date. I've installed all recommended and important updates (minus the ones that force the PC to upgrade to Windows 10).

Open Device Manager. Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your Wifi adapter under the Network Adapter heading?

Nope, no issues with the adapter. The driver seems to be running fine.

Download the intel drive for Windows 7 if you have not done so. Uninstall the current driver. Create a Restore Point and install the below driver. I have found that Dell can have some wonky drivers on their site.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27239/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-Centrino-Advanced-N-6205?product=59471

Yes, I was using the driver from the Dell website. I uninstalled the driver I currently have, and downloaded and installed the one you linked. Still not working unfortunately.

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Have you tried deleting the Wireless adapter from device manager and then restart the computer?  I normally delete the drivers also, but that is up to you.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

DNS servers and IP addresses are set to automatic, correct? After the drive update did you delete the Wifi profile and create a new one?

This has worked for Ethernet issues but I don't know if it would work for Wifi. Pull the battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the batter and power.

If that does not work do you have a live linux disk like Mint Cinnamon to test the Wifi? That would rule out a hardware problem if Mint would connect.

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your replies. I managed to resolve the problem. Not sure exactly why it worked, but what I did is do a system restore from right after my reformat. I reinstalled everything and the adapter seems to connect now.

Thanks for all your help!

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users