Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement laptop batteries kept dying / now won't switch on at all

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ST82

ST82

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

I've been having problem's with my partner's laptop, a HP Folio 13-1020ea. 

For background, it's a few years old but hasn't actually been used much, just for Excel really, as she mainly uses her iPad for email, browsing etc.

After a while the battery stopped holding a charge, and it would only run when it was plugged into the mains. So I took it to the local IT chap and he put a new battery in.

After a few months / very little use the same issue arose again, it would only run when it was plugged into the mains. The regular IT guy was uncontactable, so I took it to another technician and he advised that the battery be replaced again.

A few weeks after this, it again lost the ability to hold a charge then on the same day it died completely / won't switch on at all now.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts / advice anyone may be able to offer in terms of what to do next. I assume something is killing the battery, not sure if this would be an internal issue or the power supply unit? Should I simply take it back to the IT technician, or just cut our losses as it won't turn on at all presently?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback... :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Hello ST82,

Could be the charger itself or the circuitry on the notebooks motherboard, this includes the circuit that is used for charging the battery when it is in place.

Couple of questions if I may.

Do any LEDs on the notebook light up at all when the power is turned on using the AC adaptor.

Have you tried removing the battery and powering up using only the AC adaptor.

#3 ST82

ST82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

Many thanks for the reply, appreciated.
No lights alas.
Ill do as you advise, my brother is a bit more au fair with IT-related stuff so Ive enlisted him to give me a hand.
If we dont get any luck Ill probab take it to the IT technician for one final try.
Thanks again.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

No lights could mean that there is no power coming from the AC adaptor, does your adaptor happen to have an LED on it, if yes, does it light up when connected to the mains.

You are welcome btw  :)

#5 ST82

ST82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

There are no actual leds on the power supply unit (sorry, I thought you meant the laptop), which I assume is one way of checking whether its actually working.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

There are no actual leds on the power supply unit (sorry, I thought you meant the laptop), 

I did and even if I not there would be no need for any apology, pity though as we have no way of knowing if it is the charger atm.  

Any chance that your brother may have a compatible or a universal charger that you could try.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage coming from the adapter. On the power brick you should see a symbol showing the outer plug as negative and the inner as positive. Attach the leads of the multimeter to the adapter plug and check it's voltage to what is shown on the brick.

#8 ST82

ST82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting, one of those weekends! Thanks for both of the replies, appreciated as ever. Ill mention them to my brother and hopefully he should have something to hand.

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

No worries, we understand that you have other things to attend to and thanks for taking time out to get back to us  :thumbup2:

You are welcome btw  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users