Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended webcam capture software?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

So I got this webcam right here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1GK2MB6858

It advertises being able to capture up to 2560x1920 video at 30fps.

However, all the applications I've found from a google search only seem to be capable of capturing either about 320 x 240 resolution, or the footage is slowed down to about 4 fps!

Is there any free software out there that can capture footage from this baby at 2560 x 1920 resolution at a consistent 30fps?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB DDR3)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1070ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

I would have stayed far away from it the moment I saw "(with software boost/ upscaling)" to me that screams poor quality, when it relies on up scaling. It's probably, although it does not say, a 720p webcam that supports upscaling with software. All that's going to do is stretch the 720p video to fit a resolution of 2560 x 1920 and make the picture quality look horrendous.

I would have spent the few extra $ and found a better webcam to be very honest.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

I would have stayed far away from it the moment I saw "(with software boost/ upscaling)" to me that screams poor quality, when it relies on up scaling. It's probably, although it does not say, a 720p webcam that supports upscaling with software. All that's going to do is stretch the 720p video to fit a resolution of 2560 x 1920 and make the picture quality look horrendous.

I would have spent the few extra $ and found a better webcam to be very honest.

Is there any way I can at least get 30fps at 720p?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB DDR3)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1070ti

#4 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

Is there any way I can at least get 30fps at 720p?

That all depends on the native resolution that the webcam records at, 720p is an absolute guess (since the webcam name says HD - but that doesn't mean it records in high definition), since the sale page had no actual information on that, for all we know the resolution you mentioned in the original post could be the max it's capable of before upscaling.

all the applications I've found from a google search only seem to be capable of capturing either about 320 x 240 resolution

Just find a better webcam, so sense in wasting time on a $10 one. There are plenty of affordable ones that shoot 720p @ 30fps.

Edited by C0bra, 01 February 2018 - 07:25 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users