Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV for Mac - Can YOU answer these unanswered questions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brawdy14

Brawdy14

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:13 AM

Hi.  :hello: 

Good article here on whether or not one needs anti-virus software on an Apple Mac nowadays:-

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/do-macs-get-viruses-do-macs-need-antivirus-software-3454926/?lf-content=165511223%3A768909860&hubRefSrc=facebook

In the comments area after the article, David Brooks comments and poses these questions:-

Btw, ClamXAV is *NOT* free!

Tell me, how can one be sure that if one downloads the "free trial" and installs the software, one isn't, in fact, loading malware ON to one's Apple computer?

Who checks to make sure that this doesn't happen?

The user of the computer might well remain totally unaware that anything may be amiss. 

Something to think about!

=

Comments invited, folks!

Edited by britechguy, 06 February 2018 - 10:51 AM.
Moved back to Mac OS from AV/AM Software as OSX is and Mac software of any type is not generally discussed there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

Btw, ClamXAV is *NOT* free!

I believe ClamXav was free formerly.  It was, IIRC a simple Mac front end for the ClamAV open source anti virus engine.  I think it was mainly an on demand scanner - I don't recall it offering any real time protection.  It looks like the developers have decided to convert it to a commercial product now.

Tell me, how can one be sure that if one downloads the "free trial" and installs the software, one isn't, in fact, loading malware ON to one's Apple computer?

Who checks to make sure that this doesn't happen?

The user of the computer might well remain totally unaware that anything may be amiss.

Yes, firstly you'd have to decide on whether you trust the source. Is it downloaded from a reputable website?  Has the product been reviewed?  Fake AV software, has certainly been used as an attack method in the Windows world for a long time.  Often installed as a result of users clicking on misleading browser popups, or through downloading from malicious or compromised websites.

Who checks?  Computer security is ultimately your own responsibility.  Don't download and install things from shady sources!  That applies as much to Mac users as anyone else.  You can upload any file to double check to sites like VirusTotal which quickly scan it with tens of different AV engines.  It's not just Windows malware they can detect, some engines will find Linux, Mac, even Amiga based nasties...

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

I would probably go for avast myself as it does offer a free flavor on OSX

But in general OSX is mostly immune to windows viruses 

Sure OSX has viruses too but not nearly as common in the wild.

It will be more prone to browser hijacks but even that can be circumvented with smart browsing habits.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:48 AM

Good article here on whether or not one needs anti-virus software on an Apple Mac nowadays:-

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/do-macs-get-viruses-do-macs-need-antivirus-software-3454926/?lf-content=165511223%3A768909860&hubRefSrc=facebook

Interesting read. Thank you for posting.  :thumbsup2:

 Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6 
iMac Clone and Backup with SuperDuperTime Machine & iCloud
How much do you know about distracted driving? W82TXT 
clear.pngWhen Driving: "Get Your Head Out Of Your Apps." clear.png

#5 Brawdy14

Brawdy14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

Interesting read. Thank you for posting.  :thumbsup2:

You're welcome!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users