Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bullets don't align in Word 2016

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:10 AM

This is a nightmare! I'm trying to add midline bullets to a document. It appears I can't add them from the bullet context menu (because that inserts them at the front of the line) so I have to use Insert symbol at the insertion point. That allows me to insert the bullet symbol but no matter how I try to align it to the other bullets It appears to be a few pixels to the right or left. I have tried to move it but it doesn't align properly and affects the line spacing.

It seems that there should be a simply way of adding midline bullets that align with the rest of the paragraph's bullets but I can't fathom how this is done.

Edited by godzilla1347, 31 January 2018 - 02:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

Can you post a link to Dropbox, Google Drive, etc., that gives an example of an existing document that shows what it is you're trying to accomplish?

It sounds like you want all the bullets to align on the left but want to be able to indent text after those bullets so that it sits at a specific place that is not aligned with the main text that is normally starting next to the bullet.  If that's the case then just use tabs after the bullet in the lines where you want whitespace before the text.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for your response. It is my resume; that's why having unaligned bullets is an issue. it appears that when I add bullets from the context menu, they only align in front of the text. If I want to use midline bullets, I have to add them using the Insert menu and add a bullet into the document text from there. The problem is that bullets added that way don't line up exactly from bullets added from the context menu. When I move the inserted bullets, they are aligned either slightly left or right of the bullets added from the context bullet menu.

I don't have a Dropbox nor a Google drive account.  I don't see a way of adding attachments here or I would have done that.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

This particular forum does not support attachments.   Here is a screen shot from Word 2010 that I'm inserting inline here that's hosted elsewhere:

ms-word_bullets.jpg 

Is this what you're trying to accomplish?   If so, the only controls I use are the main bullet control, enclosed in red, and the increase indent (to get midline or even further over beyond midline if multiple levels of bullet are required) and decrease indent (to come back out to the last level) controls to deal with the horizontal positioning.

You can, of course, change the specific bullet that gets selected by default as well, but I didn't do that here.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Actually what I'm trying to do is create text followed by a midline bullet and have all the midline bullets align. You can see the problem below: I typed the word "text" then clicked on the bullet tool and the bullet preceded the text instead of coming after it.  Upon looking into this further, I found that the only way I could create text followed by a bullet was by going to the insert menu, clicking on a bullet symbol that matched and inserting it after the text.  The problem is that all bullets inserted that way don't align with bullets inserted by the context menu (they are a couple of pixels off). If I use the back button, they align slightly before the context menu bullets and if I advance the text one click, they align slightly ahead of the bullets in the context menu.

Obviously, the context menu bullets have defaults I can't mirror with the insert menu bullets, but the only way I can insert a bullet midline is with the insert menu bullets. You will notice as below that as soon as I click on the bullet applet from the context menu, the bullet always appears before the text as below and I can't find a way to change that.

• text

You would think that Microsoft would have devised a simple way to resolve this but I don't have a clue how to do this.

The problem is that this is for my resume and I am trying to create this format:

(Heading   bullet  description) and follow down the page. The context menu bullets do align but only have the bullet precede text. The insert menu bullets appear to work with different parameters. If there were a way to "nudge" the bullet a half space as you can with Microsoft Publisher, that would solve the problem but I don't see that option in Word.

Edited by godzilla1347, 31 January 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

I think you will find the answer you are looking for under 'Format - Font - Character spacing' then 'Kerning for fonts'.

Kerning is a term for adjusting the spacing between characters which effectively is what I think you are trying to do. Mostly the automatic formatting in Word does a pretty good job but when you are doing something unusual like this, perhaps not. If the standard spacing between characters (including blanks) is, for sake of argument, 4 points kerning allows you to increase or decrease this distance or gap.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Were I trying to do what is described I'd probably use a table with the table structure itself not shown.

I have never attempted to put a bullet between text in the middle of a line as that's not what they're generally intended for.  One can create that effect with a table very easily and without dealing with kerning.

#8 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:19 AM

I looked at the ribbon and saw no Format tab. I did see mention of kerning on the advanced tab of the drop down menu of the Font group but when clicking on the box labeled "kerning for fonts" nothing changed when I put the cursor in front of a bullet or text no matter how I changed the number of points. I have no idea how to use tables when integrating them into the text of a document and keeping everything in balance.

Edited by godzilla1347, 01 February 2018 - 01:22 AM.

#9 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:12 AM

In conjunction to what others have posted, you have already established using the bullet list or multilevel list will continue to produce a bullet before text. What is still missing (as britechguy had requested in his post #2) is an example of what your resume format looks like. Yes, you did your best using your words to describe what you’re after, however the formatting is still not clear.

In my experience with MS Word, a single bullet symbol will need to be inserted manually as you have already discovered, regardless if the effort is after text, in between text or anywhere in a table,

paragraph etc. I tend to remember from years past, there might be a way to format a document (a travel form for example) using the ribbon design tab and content control functions, which is way out there for what you need to accomplish with your resume.

Another manual approach, "IF" you have a keyboard with a numeric keypad, you can use the shortcut key command of Alt+0149 to gain a single bullet (•) You would place your cursor in your document where you want the single bullet, press the shortcut key command, lift up on the keys and your bullet will appear.

The best potential format I can establish by reading your written description is shown below (If this example is not what you're after, please do your best to type out what you want.)

image.jpg

If you find your bullet placement or text ends up not exactly aligned to your preference, you can always change your tab margin settings using the ruler/tabs. Here’s a YouTube video showing how that would be done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGhDeoNak8  (Note: you will see that in this video, the instructions to find the ruler is in Word Office for Mac no worried, the view tab is the same in Word for PC)

Question, are you boxed in to only one format for your resume? It might serve you better to find in Word a simple resume template ready to personalize. Keep us posted.  :)

#10 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

The format you indicated in your example is what I'm looking to do.  I will review the video you had sent. Ironically (and I have no idea why, the bullets now align--the ones from the insert menu with the ones from the context menu and this didn't happen before--but I need to understand this better because I'm sure I will run into more examples which are a few pixels off by less than one space).

I'm also curious how to use kerning in Word. If I can simply move a bullet over by a discrete number of pixels, that would solve the problem should this happen again.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

I cannot figure out why you would not simply use tab stops and placing the bullet you want in the same tab stop position every time.  That solves the problem entirely if you simply manually insert the bullet character you want.  Using Character Map to find, copy, and past any possible bullet character you can think of is not difficult.

#12 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

Hi godzilla1347, I'm glad that the format example is what you are attempting to do. If you have found success with your resume formatting, please ignore the information below.

As I do not know what your experience level is using MS Office Word, I'll share some thoughts below before jumping into particular steps I might recommend and you already know.

1) Do you know how to change the default tab stops? (which is 0.5")

2) Have you formatted your document with the Normal or No Spacing Style? Why I ask is using the Normal style might interfere with your line spacing.

3) Have you setup a Macro in a document? Doing so would allow you to create a Quick Toolbar "button" to click on to repeat the insertion of the bullet point symbol without copying/pasting.

4) We have established that your resume format would look like the example in my post #9. What concerns me is if the text after the bullet point symbol will wrap and how do you see that formatting transition?

Example which would look like:

Job (tab) (bullet) (tab) Expanded information about a job description, which might wrap to a new sentence like this which would break your formatting of (in essence) three columns (or more.)

Again, if further assistance is not required, no worries and I hope all of your resume efforts will land you a job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users