Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not happy with SSD

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 councillor

councillor

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

Your opinion on the most reliable SATA hDD available to day with the fastest cache ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:11 AM

Samsung sits at the top of the heap

#3 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

Samsung all day, although my WD has treated me very well!

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

Depends. Need SATA or M.2?

Samsung is very far from most reliable. Samsung has huge fan base but...

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Samsung-840-840-EVO-susceptible-flash-read-speed-degradation-over-time
https://www.techpowerup.com/239265/latest-samsung-960-pro-firmware-update-causes-application-freezes-instability

...looking at facts, Samsung is not reliable.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Well what SSD do you have?

Me I am quite happy with my sandisk SSD

For the most part Samsung holds up, more modern models from them tend to be very reliable from what I hear.

Not a fanboy mind you but samsung is still popular for a reason

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

Well if we're going to start digging up issues online we'll narrow the list down to none of them. No SSD is immune to failure or problems, but Samsung as a whole does have a very good reputation, and that's not for no reason, just like MadmanRB said above.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

I stand my ground about this Samsung hype. I give few examples why Samsung has successfully hyped good reputation and why hype is wrong, as it almost always is.

Samsung 840 and 840 Evo

Hype: Samsung is the FIRST manufacturer to bring TLC drives to mainstream market. Technology leadership blah blah.

Fact: Both drives were large scale failures as Samsung essentially made public TLC beta test. It really makes me wonder who actually bought those drives as TLC was supposed to be cheaper than MLC but both drives were more expensive than MLC drives.

Samsung 950/960

Hype: Samsung releases blazing fast SSD drives, you can get hugely fast read speeds, much higher than from other manufacturers.

Fact: Samsung decided again make product that exceeds barriers technology sets. While those drives are fast, it doesn't sound good that SSD throttles quite quickly on load https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-960-Pro-vs-950-Pro-Performance-Thermal-Throttling-868/

Also, that creates questions about reliability. And seriously, SSD that overheats, wtf?

I'd like to hear more about Samsung's good quality. Facts please, not "I have heard that..." While some may say every SSD drives have problems, those two examples are large scale problems that affect every drive on market, not just some random units. I cannot remember many drive models during recent years that had problems with every single unit.

Based on those, I cannot agree that Samsung has good reputation for real reasons.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

Yeah but if you must suggest another brand what would it be?

If one were not one to "buy into hype" then what are your suggestions?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

Yeah but if you must suggest another brand what would it be?

If one were not one to "buy into hype" then what are your suggestions?

For SATA SSD's, Mushkin Reactor series is almost identical to popular and trouble free Crucial BX100. May be hard to find though. Newer planar MLC models are disappearing but A-Data has SP900 and SX930+SX950. From newer drives, Crucial MX500 seems like quite good even it's TLC drive. But I'd rather take even that before any Samsung.

For M.2 SSD's, Adata SX8000 is very affordable right now. SX9000 seems quite expensive but if price is right, it's OK. Also on M.2 front, planar MLC drives are disappearing, but there are drives like Plextor M8Pe(G) and perhaps Corsair MP500 or OCZ RD400 too that are good choices right now if price is right. 3D NAND is getting more popular with M.2 drives too and new controllers are coming so it's not good time to buy M.2 drive right now.

While some may argue 960 Evo for example is much faster, it's good to remember that after SLC cache is filled, speeds drops very rapidly and hard.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 31 January 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#10 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

Old review...

Date: September 19, 2014

Adata M.2 drives are among the slowest for being what they are supposed to be

Edited by Joe C, 01 February 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

That's not review.

This is two years newer if it helps, drive is even more older though https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-Magician-497-and-Samsung-840-DXT0AB0Q-Firmware-Tested-Read-Speed-Issues-Fina

Edited by Drillingmachine, 01 February 2018 - 11:12 AM.

#12 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

Yup.... the 840 is quite old by today's standards. Samsung has recently came out with the 860 SSD and I think they are going with that to replace the Samsung 850's because those have been around for a long time too, They're supposed to be a little faster and have a 5 yr warranty, which is better than the 850's 3 yr warranty. I don't think Samsung makes TLC memory like they did with the 840. The newer (850's and up) have using 3D nand for years now. I hear Samsung is coming out with something called Z-nand at sometime in 2018. Supposed to be competitive with the Intel Optane drives

Edited by Joe C, 01 February 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

Samsung uses different TLC NAND with 850 and 860 yes. Still, 840 was launched 2012, total disaster. 840 Evo launched 2013, it was not total disaster but very bad product still. Even without considering very expensive price.

So I just cannot agree Samsung has good reputation for any other reasons than hype, fanboyism etc.

Z-NAND seems to be only "faster NAND Flash", so that's not directly competing with Optane.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 01 February 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

Any even the lesser grade SSD's are far superior to any HD out there, I used to worry about when my spinners would krap out.  Once they reached 3 years old I would Xcopy them to a new WD drive.  I now have an Intel 120 SSD that is 6 years old that will find a new home in one of my lap tops.  That was just pulled to make way for a New Samsung, I also have an 6 year old 60 gig Adata still cooking in the same machine.  I have done the same as many up here, following the what I call brutal SSD testing, a spinner would never survive the same regimen.  You can go back and forth all you want it is more than hard to try and beat even the lesser models! 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,218 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

I'm unclear why people are arguing about the reliability of SSDs in a topic where the OP has asked about the reliability and cache performance of HDDs.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users