Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Click on link and a .scr file automatically installed Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Criticality

Criticality

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

I clicked on a link and a .scr file automatically install onto my computer. I went to my download files and delete it straight away without opening it because I knew that was not normal. Though even though I did not open the file could it have automatically run when it was downloaded.

I did check free malawarebytes, and free avast and both said I have no threats but im not sure

Could I have a keylogger or rat, or some virus on my computer that those two anti-virus are not detecting, or am I worrying for nothing.

Thanks in advanced for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:59 AM

Welcome to BC...

If the file has not been deleted from the trash folder/ recycle bin then you can submit it to VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner

to be scanned by numerous security programs.

Suggest using the programs below to clean, remove adware and remove malware.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop. (compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10)

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Download and run the FREE online scanner from Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET | ESET

• Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Criticality

Criticality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

First before doing these steps do I uninstall my anti virus to install both ESET and adwcleaner?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

Try doing the scans without shutting down your antivirus and antimalware programs. If they interfere then either tell

them to allow the scans or disable the security programs.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Criticality

Criticality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

# AdwCleaner 7.0.7.0 - Logfile created on Thu Feb 01 20:13:19 2018
# Updated on 2018/18/01 by Malwarebytes 
# Running on Windows 10 Home (X64)
# Mode: clean

***** [ Services ] *****

No malicious services deleted.

***** [ Folders ] *****

Deleted: C:\Users\All Users\Documents\Downloaded Installers
Deleted: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Downloaded Installers
Deleted: C:\Users\Clint\AppData\Local\slimware utilities inc
Deleted: C:\Users\Clint\AppData\Local\SlimWare Utilities Inc

***** [ Files ] *****

Deleted: C:\Windows\SysNative\drivers\swdumon.sys

***** [ DLL ] *****

No malicious DLLs cleaned.

***** [ WMI ] *****

No malicious WMI cleaned.

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

No malicious shortcuts cleaned.

***** [ Tasks ] *****

No malicious tasks deleted.

***** [ Registry ] *****

Deleted: [Key] - HKLM\SOFTWARE\SlimWare Utilities Inc

***** [ Firefox (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Firefox entries deleted.

***** [ Chromium (and derivatives) ] *****

No malicious Chromium entries deleted.

::Tracing keys deleted
::Winsock settings cleared
::Additional Actions: 0

C:/AdwCleaner/AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1305 B] - [2018/2/1 20:12:8]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt ##########

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:53 AM

What about the Eset Online Scan results?

Were you able to submit the deleted file to VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner

to be scanned by numerous security programs.....or was it permanently deleted from the recycle bin?

#7 Criticality

Criticality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

the eset scan showed no threats, and I had already used ccleaner before this post to permanently remove from my recycle bin

#8 Criticality

Criticality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

so I think that means Im all good. Thanks For Help. Also thanks for adwcleaner, very good program, 

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Well..nothing was found. If you later notice excessive ads, search redirects or slooow computer...post back.

If you don't have an ad blocker installed in your browsers I suggest you install Adblock Plus.

Block Third Party cookies from installing. Those are the ad and tracking cookies. Once blocked...run CCleaner to remove the existing ones.

#10 Criticality

Criticality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

Ok Thanks

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

You're welcome...happy surfin'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users