Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making labels

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

I used to make labels avery 5160 on my desktop computer running vista I think it was in word 2016.  It was one page with the same label.  I remember I would do some thing that would open a dialogue box with many options.  You could choose which lines or fields you wanted Name, address 1, address 2, state.  You could also change the fonts.  If you made an error in any of those fields you would open the dialogue box correct it and it would fix the whole page.  I now have a laptop with word 2016.  I can still make the labels but through the mail merge feature.  I don't remember if I had to download it from Avery or not.  But I have gone to the Avery website and tried all the available options and can't seem to find the one I used to use.  Is anyone familiar with what I am describing and how to get it on my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

What you are describing is the mail merge process, which can be (and is) used with virtually any document type you can name from form letters to mailing labels (and, often, the two together).

Even if you download the Avery label template you want if you're trying to create pages of labels that use a database (whether MS-Access, Excel spreadsheet, or CSV file) you have to go through the mail merge process with the template.  You can save the template (and should, if you wish to reuse it) under a name of its own with the merge fields selected but before you actually do the merge process to create the page(s) of labels.

But if you are trying to make a page or pages of labels that all have the same content, a good example would be return address labels, you can do that without mail merge by setting the single one up and choosing the option to make all labels on the page have the same content.

There are scads of step-by-step tutorials out there for using MS-Word and "sticky label template" files to create labels whether via mail merge or many of the same on a single page.  If you web search on, say "Avery 5160 label mail merge," you'll find scads of them for the exact label style you're trying to create.

Edited by britechguy, 30 January 2018 - 07:24 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

What I'm describing is something different than the mail merge that's currently available to me. I can't be sure if it is an older version of mail merge or not. But the one that I'm using now is not the same thing that I used before. The one that I use before had a lot more features and was easier to use.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

Was it the stand alone program called Avery DesignPro? That program is no longer sold or supported. 

https://cdn.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/designpro_2.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20080911235727/http://www.avery.com:80/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Software/Avery-DesignPro-for-PC.htm?Ns=Rank

#5 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

I looked at pictures of Design Pro and that's not it. It was in word. I don't remember if I downloaded it or not.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

Well, I can't be of much help then.

The native mail merge feature in MS-Word has been essentially the same for as long as I can remember.  The most recent version of Word I've used is 2013, and it was very similar to 2010 and earlier versions of Word.

Given the nature of what's required I can't imagine radical changes in Office 365 or 2016.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users