Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this graphics card work with an early 2008 mac pro?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reversenotation

reversenotation

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

Hi

I have a large desktop early 2008 Mac Pro.  I currently have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card in it, but I am looking to upgrade this to something a little bit better.

According to this apple link:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201805

It states that this card will work with it:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (part number 630-9191 or 630-9897)

On looking on ebay, it seems clear that any 'official' 8800 GT cards that have been removed from actual mac pros are highly priced.  My question is would another 8800 GT card work with my mac pro, for instance this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVGA-Nvidia-GeForce-8800GT-512MB-Workstation-Graphics-Card/263232272806?hash=item3d49ddb9a6:g:SDsAAOSwLyVZ1NTj

Many thanks!

N

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

Mac video cards need to have special firmware or the Mac won't even recognize the card id installed; but, the genuine Apple cards are so crazy expensive that lots of people got into the business of flashing generic cards with Apple compatible firmware.

Just make sure you search for mac pro video cards:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmac+pro+GeForce+8800+GT.TRS0&_nkw=mac+pro+GeForce+8800+GT&_sacat=0

That listing you posted; though, was removed by the seller.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,158 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Sadly your mac may be at the end of its upgradability as apple has its own set of standards and may not take any new hardware not specified.

Better off with a standard PC, right now PC building is expensive but you can just get a pre built dell or something.

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 January 2018 - 04:21 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:23 AM

Here are the specs for your Mac:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-eight-core-2.8-2008-specs.html

And, even by today's standards, that PC is still plenty fast.

The GeForce 8800GT is listed as one of the video options so, as long as you get one with Apple firmware, it should work fine and is almost three times faster than the ATI 2600 you probably have now.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 reversenotation

reversenotation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

Many thanks all!

Yes it does have a lot of processing grunt, they are still used as workstations where I work.  I am not keen on splashing out so much of a premium for what is an old apple graphics card.  I will give it an SSD and leave the existing graphics card where it is.

Cheers

N

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users