Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hobbies

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hey all! 

I'd like to share a couple of my favourite hobbies with you guys today, maybe you'd like to share your hobby as well.

First and foremost my Star Wars obsession...

A few years ago, I decided that I was going to buy a Stormtrooper costume, so that I could have something cool for costume parties, and Halloween. I started doing a bit of research on all the different kinds, and prices. In my research I stumbled across a Star Wars costuming group called, The 501st Legion. Some of you may have heard about them! We're a worldwide costuming organization with over 12,000 members worldwide! Our main focus is charity and volunteer work, such as Make-A-Wish, and various Toy Drives. 

Here are some pictures of my costume!

QpwLAkg.jpg?1QZ19GZ5.jpg?29ofUq7t.jpg?1

PMRCFuR.jpg?1HtRwUk3.jpg?1

I've done many events in my kit, from hockey games to movie premiers to my favourite; helping grant a wish for Make-A-Wish Atlantic. Some people laugh about it, some make fun, but at the end of the day we do so much good for our communities and I have an absolute blast doing it! Definitely the most fulfilling hobby I've ever taken on: as well as the most expensive.

You can find out more about the 501st here.

VCYwz2W.png?1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My second hobby is Airsoft; another hobby that gets me some odd reactions. 

Airsoft is much like paintball in where you have a weapon that shoots a hurtful form of plastic as an opponent. Yes we do this for fun! The difference is that Airsoft guns are much more realistic bordering "replicas" and shoot small 6mm plastic BBs from anywhere between 150-450 feet per second. (FPS) just enough to hurt so you know you've been hit, and leave a small welt. Doesn't typically break skin or anything.

Most of the friends I play with are Military or Ex-Military, but it brings in all kinds of people. I enjoy it because it's a very disciplined form of activity, where we typically "Milsim" - where we take it somewhat seriously and try to play by "realistic" standards. 

Here are a few shots of me in that hobby.

1jLfTUv.jpg?23dL7Zfp.jpg?3dGJQIyr.jpg?3

Feel free to ask me anything or share your hobby!!

Edited by C0bra, 31 January 2018 - 02:38 PM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 helengrin

helengrin

• Banned Spammer
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

I'm a big fan of gaming. I collect different video games, but most of all I like to play real-life escape room games. I try to attend all escape room games in my area in LA. This weekend I'm going to solve this one https://thequestfactory.com/escape-rooms/knights-legacy/ I read a lot of positive reviews about it so I hope I'll not be disappointed

Edited by helengrin, 02 February 2018 - 04:26 AM.

#3 C0bra

C0bra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

I'm a big fan of gaming. I collect different video games, but most of all I like to play real-life escape room games. I try to attend all escape room games in my area in LA. This weekend I'm going to solve this one https://thequestfactory.com/escape-rooms/knights-legacy/ I read a lot of possitive reviews about it so I hope I'll not be disappointed

Nice!! There's an escape room cafe here in town too. I've yet to do it - but it seems fun!

nIDwkQT.gif

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

@ helengrin

I'm also a fan of gaming I have every Nintendo game console excluding the handhelds and game&watch's I also consider Linux as a hobby, I'm always learning something with Linux. :)

Edited by SuperSapien64, 01 February 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

I enjoy troubleshooting antique tube radios that I run across providing they are still in tact and haven't been butchered beyond any reasonable repair.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 C0bra

C0bra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

I enjoy troubleshooting antique tube radios that I run across providing they are still in tact and haven't been butchered beyond any reasonable repair.

Thats really cool!

nIDwkQT.gif

#7 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:10 PM

That air soft looks fun.

My hobby, photography, started when a kid with an old Argus camera (620 film I believe) and later used a Rolleiflex with a Zeiss lens. Later Olympic SLR's with Kodachrome slide film down to 25 ASA. Got a point & shoot digital now but don't get out much anymore, though I've a ton of slides I'd like to digitalize sometime.
Always enjoyed shooting, not hunting, my best friend (former Green Beret) and I would have contests in the woods. I usually won. :) Also throwing stuff like different sizes of knives, screwdrivers, etc. (yeah, weird) for our own version of Irish pub darts. Guess you couldn't actually call that a hobby, but was fun for us, we did it for years.
That's about it. 
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

@ r.a.d.

Have you ever tried Luminace HDR? Its a free and open source high dynamic range app for Windows, Linux and Mac.

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

SuperSapien, one very close whose name I can't thing of right now, but you could utilize as almost like a plug-in menu item in Adobe Photo Elements and CS2 that I used on my XP machines.
Normally achieving that dynamic range required several exposures with a camera, but photo ed. adjuncts like these do a great job simulating those dynamics with a single shot.

Might be this one I used, not sure-
http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html
Alternatives-
https://alternativeto.net/software/dynamic-photo-hdr/

When working on a photo there was a graph with sliders to adjust, some photos could benefit but some not so much. In most cases I did little editing as originals usually were fine, except for leveling horizons and adjusting barreling/pincushining, common with my el-cheapo point and shoot.

Edit/additional:
I still have the same Casio 5 meg. little camera and will say, with extra SD cards capable at taking thousands of shots at highest resolutions, man, I was a kid in a candy store.
Also, with the HP 5550 printer with color and photo cartridge and their photo paper, prints came out rivaling any a generic lab could produce. After doing the math/per print costs, a lab is better for standard size, but for full-page prints, home ones win hands down, convenience aside.
My wife's smartphone has higher resolution (I call it a dumb phone, only because I'm used to the simple clamshell ones :) ) but unlike hers, my camera also has an optical viewfinder. Try composing a shot on a sunny day via just the screen, you'll understand.

Edited by r.a.d., 03 February 2018 - 05:12 PM.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#10 helengrin

helengrin

• Banned Spammer
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:04 AM

Nice!! There's an escape room cafe here in town too. I've yet to do it - but it seems fun!

yup real-life escape room games much more entertaining than simple video games, imho

#11 Eliotsm

Eliotsm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

Like the star wars obsessed guy:D
I enjoy the franchise myself, though I'm more attracted to the completely different type of warfare. Namely warfare of the chance and luck. Sports betting is my main time consumer aside from my job. If there's another player here, you got your luck because In years of betting I found a true diamond in the world of bookies. It's betonmoblile https://betonmobile.ru/bonusyi-1xbet. Just look at it if you're on the same side with me.

Edited by Eliotsm, 29 August 2018 - 08:03 AM.

#12 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

I have an ancient Grundig 2540 and a Hallicrafters S-120 I haven't turned either on in a few years, the last time I did they were still working. What do you think about the advice I heard that one should replace all the electrolytic capacitors in vintage tube radios?
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#13 Malcolmer

Malcolmer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:42 AM

Most of all I like to make small presents for my friends without any reason. When I'm shopping I always buy something for them, not only for me. And the best thing is to see them happy :)

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:02 AM

I have an ancient Grundig 2540 and a Hallicrafters S-120 I haven't turned either on in a few years, the last time I did they were still working. What do you think about the advice I heard that one should replace all the electrolytic capacitors in vintage tube radios?

Hey Bezukhov,

Antique radios have the old paper and wax type electrolytic capacitors in them and over time they do and will need to be replaced so yes it is very common to replace the electrolytic capacitors.

If you can get hold of a variac the best way to power up old radios that haven't been powered up in years is to slowly ramp the voltage up to its full working voltage and see what it does.

So basically it is very common to have to replace capacitors in old vintage electronics although I would power up what you have and as per suggested and see how they work.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#15 Whibble

Whibble

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

I'm a huge firearms collector, with an emphasis on the cold war era. I've got a mix of everything, but something about the cold war period of firearms history appeals to me.

fXBwhDs.jpg

For example, this is my Remington Model 8, made in February of 1929. This was the first semi-automatic rifle commercially available in the united states (around 1908). A gorgeous piece of history!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users