Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Synchronized Outlook and Iphone emails, which one controls the other?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 muzzles

muzzles

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

I have the latest Iphone ios and Outlook 20013. I use IMAP and believe my accounts are synchronized. Can I delete emails on either device and it will delete the emails on the other device or do I need to do that on the server? I have thought I have the server deleting emails older than 1 year, but I have emails older than one year.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is an e-mail access method where everything is centrally stored and controlled on the server side, not on your individual e-mail clients.  It is the interaction between the client(s) and the server that determines what gets kept, deleted, moved to folders you create, etc.

If you have more than one e-mail client accessing the same account via IMAP no one of the clients is "in control."   For example, lets say you have client1, client2, and client3.  All three have communicated to the server and had either the message headers downloaded or the message headers along with some user defined number of recent actual message bodies so that you can access your newer messages if you are not connected to the internet on a given client at a certain point in time.

If you delete message X on client 1, as soon as client 1 does its next send/receive with the IMAP server that message is removed from the server (or moved to a trash folder, more commonly).  Then the next time clients 2 and 3 do their respective send/receive communication with the server message X will be deleted from them as well.

This is a process of synchronization, which means that at any given moment in time there could be some difference in what you can see on clients 1, 2, and 3 if you were using client 1 and someone else (authorized, of course) is using client 2.   In this situation, you on client 1 delete message X and the other user on client 2 deletes message Y.   Depending on which client does its send/receive communication with the server first you could have one of two things happen:

1  Client 1 does its sync first, followed by client 2:  Message X will be deleted from client 1 and will still be visible on client 2 until client 2 does its sync.  On client 2 Message X will still be visible until client 2 does its sync as well, since that's when it's told to get rid of message X.

2. Client 2 does its sync first, followed by client 1: Message Y will be deleted from client 2 and will still be visible on client 1 until client 1 does its sync.  On client 1 Message Y will still be visible until client 1 does its sync as well, since that's when it's told to get rid of message Y.

Essentially each of the individual clients could have to do two syncs before both look exactly the same, and this all depends on the timing of how all involved synchronize with the server.

Client 3 enters the picture and depending how its sync is timed relative to clients 1 and 2 you could have just message X disappear (sync occurs after client 1 but before client 2), just message Y disappear (sync occurs after client 2 but before client 1), or both messages X and Y disappear at the same time (sync occurs after both clients 1 and 2 have already synced).

Since most e-mail clients sync relatively frequently (a default frequency that's reasonably common is once every 10 minutes) you can see how these different situations might occur and how, after every client has synced at least twice (but often only once) all three will then have the same messages displayed in the same way.

You must not have the server automatically purging messages older than one year if those still remain in your inbox or other user-defined folders.  This is actually the most common situation since it's expected that you will delete messages that you actually don't want.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

Thank you. I just found an option in outlook 2013 to purge deleted when switching fiolders and it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users