Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REMOVING OLD LAPTOP OWNERS NAME COMPLETELY

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tomsbc

tomsbc

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

Hello Everyone,  Boy do i hate this windows 10. My friend gave me this laptop and I changed the administrator name to mine. but  when i bring up  the command prompt i still see the old owners name, how  can i get rid of  it from the command prompt, and any other place i may see it like on folders etc? Thanks

PS: how can i  get email notifications when  there is a reply here, i  dont see the options?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

See if this helps: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/quick-tip-change-the-registered-owner-in-windows/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:05 AM

Changing the name will do nothing, and did nothing on earlier versions of Windows, either.  Once an account is established, along with its folder hierarchy, renaming the account will not change the folder hierarchy and that's what's getting shown in command prompt.

You must create a new account with admin privileges and delete the existing one.

If you hit the "More Reply Options" button at the lower right of the compose area you will get a larger compose window with a column of options on the right side.  Checking the "Follow this topic" checkbox will provide you notifications when replies occur.

Edited by britechguy, 30 January 2018 - 10:06 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Personally, I would do a clean install of Windows 10 if you have the required licenses to any purchased programs currently on the computer.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

Agree that the only way to COMPLETELY eliminate any trace of the previous owner is a clean install.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

The question is, does the OP actually want to remove any and all traces of the previous owner or just want to establish themselves as the "big kahuna" on the machine with their own folder structure reflecting their own user account?

I agree that the only way to get a completely clean slate is either to use the system's "restore to factory" option or to do a completely clean install of Win10.  Either one of these options is often overkill and I do either one only as a last resort, particularly if there's been a lot of third-party software, and particularly third-party paid software, installed that one would rather keep and not have to go through the effort of reinstalling again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

yes I just want my own folder structures and want to avoid reinstalling 3rd ;party software. as i might have mentioned deleting e.g the old owners picture folder will not delete. any suggestions, Thanks

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

Again:  You must create an entirely new account with admin privileges and delete the existing administrator account.  That is the only way that you are going to create a new admin folder structure under the account you create and remove the existing admin account's folder structure when you delete it.

When you delete the existing account you will be given an option to save all of the existing user folders and files in a folder that will be placed on the desktop of the account you are using to delete the existing admin account (which will probably be the new admin account you created using the existing one).

There is no other way, short of a "restore to factory" or completely clean install of Win10, to do what you want to do other than what I have outlined before and just above.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

Ok, I will create a new account, do you  have any step by step instructions i could use, never had to do this  before? Thanks

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

You did say you hated 10, now is your chance to bail out :whistle:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

Soon or later it will be only windows10 so i want to get the how to's down pat, I will keep it for now but just on this laptop, 

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

Also, what you're experiencing is not limited to Windows 10.  If you change an account name under Windows 7 for an existing account the folder structure is not replaced, but will maintain the naming convention formed when the account was originally created.

Under Windows 10 all account management is under Settings -> Accounts.   Not knowing whether you wish to create a Microsoft account linked Win10 user account versus a strictly local Win10 user account I cannot advise further.   There are myriad tutorials out there showing, step-by-step, how to do either including screen shots.  All you need to do is a web search on either "create Windows 10 Microsoft user account" or "create Windows 10 local user account" and you've got what you're asking for.

By the way, you're very smart to stick with Windows 10 if your intention is to stay in the Windows ecosystem.  You said it perfectly in that soon enough there will be nothing but Windows 10 and it's insane to use any unsupported OS if one intends to interact with the internet, and who doesn't on the vast majority of PCs out there?

Edited by britechguy, 30 January 2018 - 02:59 PM.

~ Brian Vogel

#13 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

I guess i need to use a microsoft account if its going to be administrator account, right? btw deleting the old administrator account from the command prompt, would not get rid of it completely, would it?

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

I use only the official management tools within Windows to manage accounts and prefer the GUI ones to the command line ones, so I cannot comment on what may or may not work in Command Prompt or PowerShell (both of which would have to be running elevated to admin privileges to manage accounts if one goes that route).

You can create either a Microsoft Account linked or local account with admin privileges.  The only difference between a Microsoft Account linked Win10 user account and a local user account is that the latter does not keep anything stored in the cloud at Microsoft.  It's just like a good, old-fashioned Windows user account.

I personally love Microsoft Account linked accounts since they keep track of the Microsoft programs you've installed (or at least many of them) and the license keys for said programs and if you ever wipe a Windows 10 machine, re-create the same Microsoft Account linked Win10 user account, and reinstall you don't have to dig around hoping you can find your original media and/or license keys.  There are other advantages, too.  But for those that fear anything and everything about cloud based computing the closest you can get Windows 10 to behaving like Windows 7 as far as accounts go is to create local accounts and check your privacy settings (which are fewer) on said accounts before using them.  [You should do the same as far as privacy settings before using the account for Microsoft Account linked Win10 user accounts as well, but what you can control is more extensive because it does interact with Microsoft's cloud.]

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users