Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP History of a PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VasileVita

VasileVita

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Hi, I would like to get help for the following situation. I am at the Court with a guy who made several unauthorised access to my computer.

Now the Court approved a very strange expretize on his computer.

For this reason I am looking to found out if any computer is storing the history of it's public IPs were given to it through by his Internet Provider.

My opinion is that in the best situation is possible to find the last IP address, but not a history of 6-12 months back. To this computer was allocated Dynamic IP's by the provider.

I would like to underline that I am looking about the IP's were given ti that PC and not IP's of the searches made on it

I am also looking to find bibliography if it exist for this topic. 

Thank you,

Vasile

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

a very strange expretize

What does this mean please?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 VasileVita

VasileVita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

sorry, I was meaning very strange question to the technical expert. I mean strange, because in my opinion this kind of information is not stored

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

By default, the local machine doesn't keep a log of the IP addresses that it has been assigned.  It can be configured, but odds are that's not going to help in your situation.  Additionally if the machine was behind a router it would only have the private IP addresses that it was assigned, not the public IP address.  You would need to go through the person's Internet Service Provider (ISP) to find out what IP addresses they were assigned to their equipment.

#5 VasileVita

VasileVita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:26 AM

DEar Kilroy, thank you for your answer. it helps me a lot

"By default, the local machine doesn't keep a log of the IP addresses that it has been assigned" - I am looking to find something to prove this at the Court. To prove the by default the machine doesn't keep the log of IP. I would be great if you can advice about bibliography for this. thank you

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Check the thread I linked previously.  You'd have to search for a Microsoft link for what turning on DHCP logging would mean and that it is turned off by default.  As I said before this would only be of value if the person directly connected their machine to the Internet.  If they go through a router it would be worthless, even if turned on, as you would only receive information about the local network.  In order to get their public IP addresses over time you would need to obtain the information from their ISP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users