Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB4078130 - Should I Install on Win10 Machines?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GoBolts

GoBolts

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:47 AM

MS issued on Jan. 28 -- but not yet pushed to me -- KB4078130, which unpatches part of the Jan. 22 Win10 patch on the Spectre/Meltdown snafu.

Under what circumstances should I install it? Or, not install it?

Not being a techie, I'm confused by what seem to be competing KB pronouncements. Your help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:53 AM

Information on tenforum about this, it seems you have to manually download it as it’s not being pushed via WU.
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/103348-kb4078130-update-disable-mitigation-against-spectre-variant-2-a.html
If you’re not having any unexpected reboots or slowdowns then you don’t have to download it.

#3 GoBolts

GoBolts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:02 AM

Thank you, Goddess...

yes, TenForum is super. I thought I'd check in here...because...

Slowdowns on my wife's laptop and my main desktop.

No slowdowns on my laptop or backup desktop.

All 4 got the previous 2 KB patches.

So, I'm a bit at sea.

Yes, I have downloaded the latest KB and it sits on a flash drive, awaiting my indecision to become decision.

Edited by GoBolts, 30 January 2018 - 07:04 AM.

#4 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

OK, now I am confused.  Desktop computer: Dell XPS 8700, running Windows 10 Professional, fully updated so far as I can tell (automatic updates enabled, frequency "daily").  The most recent "Hotfix" that Speccy shows is KB4056892, installed 01/09/18.  AFAIK this includes the SOFTWARE mitigations for Spectre and Meltdown.  No sign of a January 22 update - am I to suppose that is a FIRMWARE update from Intel (in which case Dell has apparently not yet offered one for the XPS 8700)?  Certainly I am not aware of having installed any firmware update (though I have repeatedly been offered an apparently fake one purporting to be from Dell, but not matching the name or version number of any actual Dell BIOS version).

All the signals seem to suggest it might be best NOT to install any firmware updates until the dust has settled a bit more.  That seems also to be what Dell is advising.

Opinions?

Thanks

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

Dell and HP pulled their firmware updates because of a buggy patch by intel.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/spectre-flaw-dell-and-hp-pull-intels-buggy-patch-new-bios-updates-coming/

#6 GoBolts

GoBolts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

OK, now I am confused.  Desktop computer: Dell XPS 8700, running Windows 10 Professional, fully updated so far as I can tell (automatic updates enabled, frequency "daily").  The most recent "Hotfix" that Speccy shows is KB4056892, installed 01/09/18.  AFAIK this includes the SOFTWARE mitigations for Spectre and Meltdown.  No sign of a January 22 update - am I to suppose that is a FIRMWARE update from Intel (in which case Dell has apparently not yet offered one for the XPS 8700)?  Certainly I am not aware of having installed any firmware update (though I have repeatedly been offered an apparently fake one purporting to be from Dell, but not matching the name or version number of any actual Dell BIOS version).

All the signals seem to suggest it might be best NOT to install any firmware updates until the dust has settled a bit more.  That seems also to be what Dell is advising.

Opinions?

Thanks

hello saluqi...

I got the newer KB patch (released on Saturday) by checking at the MS support site. It's available for downloading, but MS has not yet put it in their regular Windows Update releases. So, if you want it, you have to go to the support site and type in the KB number.

Good luck...but...I still have not made the decision to install it. As you say, the dust hasn't fully settled yet.

#7 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

In the meantime I had noticed that Dell and HP had pulled their patches using the Intel firmware update.

I had understood that KB4078130 was designed to disable that buggy FIRMWARE update.  If that is the case, since I have not installed any FIRMWARE update yet, I should not need KB4078130.  Correct?

I noticed that Haswell and Broadwell series CPUs are particularly affected.  Both my computers (about 4 years old) have Haswell 22nm CPUs.

#8 GoBolts

GoBolts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

saluqi...

I hope some other posters can provide your answers because I'm not tech-minded enough. To me, common sense would be on your side. But I believe my Intel units might be targets...so I cross my fingers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users