Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to share a folder with a Win XP machine over LAN?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:51 AM

I am upgrading my ancient Win XP machine to a shiny new Surface Book running Win 10. I have a lot of data files to copy over. I'd like to share the entire Win XP C-disk (or at least the My Documents folder) with the Win 10 machine so that it can copy over the files as I upgrade.

Is that the best way to go?

If so, what's the best way to set that up?

I want the share to be restricted to just the Win 10 machine. There are several other machines that have access to the LAN and I don't want any of them to have access unless I specifically allow it on a folder-by-folder basis.

Thanks

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

Windows shares are by user, not by machine, so you can't restrict it to just the Windows 10 machine.

The easiest way would be to connect to the administrative share on the Windows XP machine.  You will need the user name and password for an account with Administrative rights on the Windows XP machine.  Then on the Windows 10 machine run the following command:

NET USE T: \\XPCOMPUTER\C$ /user:USER PASSword

Where XPCOMPUTER is replaced with either the name, or IP address of the XP computer and USER is the user with Administrative rights on the XP machine and PASSword is the password for that account.

The result will be that the Windows 10 machine will now have a T: drive that is the C: drive of the Windows XP machine.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:01 AM

Windows shares are by user, not by machine, so you can't restrict it to just the Windows 10 machine.

The easiest way would be to connect to the administrative share on the Windows XP machine.  You will need the user name and password for an account with Administrative rights on the Windows XP machine.  Then on the Windows 10 machine run the following command:

NET USE T: \\XPCOMPUTER\C$ /user:USER PASSword

Where XPCOMPUTER is replaced with either the name, or IP address of the XP computer and USER is the user with Administrative rights on the XP machine and PASSword is the password for that account.

The result will be that the Windows 10 machine will now have a T: drive that is the C: drive of the Windows XP machine.

This is just what I need. But when I run it, I get:

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Here's the command as I entered it:

net use T: \\Joe-WinXP\C$ /user:Joe 8a6c9e

I was careful to use the correct case for all letters: "Joe-WinXP", "Joe", and "8a6c9e". I also tried:

net use T: \\Joe-WinXP\C$ /user:Joe PASS8a6c9e

and

net use T: \\Joe-WinXP\C$ /user:Joe PASS 8a6c9e

Because I wasn't sure why PASS was in all caps and "word" was not. The first got the same Access denied. The second got a syntax error.

As far as I know, user "joe" has Admin privileges. I am able to install software using that login. If I open up the User Accounts applet in Control Panel, it shows user account "Joe" as "Computer administrator".

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,362 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:16 PM

Try using this.

net use T: \\Joe-WinXP\C$ /user:Joe-WinXP\Joe 8a6c9e

Assuming that Joe is a user on Joe-WinXP and 8a6c9e is Joe's password.

According to this thread you may need to launch the CMD windows as an administrator, this is different than launching it with an administrative account.  Search for CMD on the Windows 10 machine, right click the Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator.

Edited by Kilroy, 01 February 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

Try using this.

net use T: \\Joe-WinXP\C$ /user:Joe-WinXP\Joe 8a6c9e
Assuming that Joe is a user on Joe-WinXP and 8a6c9e is Joe's password.

Same error.

Yes, the name of the Win XP machine is "Joe-WinXP". I use that named all the time to share folders with another Win XP machine.

It has a user with administrator privileges named "Joe" with login password "8a6c9e".

According to this thread you may need to launch the CMD windows as an administrator, this is different than launching it with an administrative account.  Search for CMD on the Windows 10 machine, right click the Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator.

I was able to get CMD to run as Administrator on the Win 10 machine (the title bar says "Administrator: Command Prompt"). I then reentered both the original command string and this one. Both get the same error.

Do I need to set (or unset) some sharing privilege on the XP machine?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,362 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

Since you've been able to share before, I'd just share the C: drive and see if that works for you.

I normally work with the Professional versions of Windows and some times there a little differences where things that work for me, won't work for you.

#7 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

Since you've been able to share before, I'd just share the C: drive and see if that works for you.

I am reluctant to share the entire C: drive globally.

I do have several shared folders and I am able to access them from the Win 10 machine.

I normally work with the Professional versions of Windows and some times there a little differences where things that work for me, won't work for you.

The XP machines are running Windows XP Professional. I am not sure about the Win 10 machine. How do I check that?

#8 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

"I do have several shared folders and I am able to access them from the Win 10 machine."

So what problem remains?

#9 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

"I do have several shared folders and I am able to access them from the Win 10 machine."

So what problem remains?

The shared folders do not contain any sensitive data. The C-disk contains 300gb of data including confidential personal and client information. I am not comfortable sharing it globally. I would prefer a way to share it with just the one machine or account.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,362 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

Have you tried to map a drive to the Windows 10 machine from the Windows XP machine?   Using the same thing in reverse?  You'd have to do everything from the XP machine which you could do either locally or via Remote Desktop (RDP).

Other possible options would be to create a new Admin account on the XP machine and try using that.

There is always the possibility that someone disabled the C$ share.  If you type NET SHARE in a command prompt of the XP machine do you see a C$ share?

#11 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

Have you tried to map a drive to the Windows 10 machine from the Windows XP machine?   Using the same thing in reverse?  You'd have to do everything from the XP machine which you could do either locally or via Remote Desktop (RDP).

Other possible options would be to create a new Admin account on the XP machine and try using that.

I'll try that next.

There is always the possibility that someone disabled the C$ share.  If you type NET SHARE in a command prompt of the XP machine do you see a C$ share?

I've attached the screen capture of that command.

Attached File  Net Share 20180201 1537.jpg   72.13KB   0 downloads

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,362 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

Okay, from the screen shot it looks like the C$ share is still there.  So, I'm at a loss for why it doesn't work.  This is a batch file that I use almost daily to connect to user drives.  First it disconnects the O: drive.  Then asks for the machine to connect to, in your case Joe-WinXP, then it maps the O: drive to the machine C$ share using the machine's Administrator account with a password of PASSWORD!  Next it opens up an explorer view to the Users directory, I do this to verify I'm connected to the correct machine.

@ECHO OFF
CLS
NET USE O: /D /Y
SET /P MACHINE="Enter Machine Name: " %=%
NET USE O: \\%MACHINE%\C$ /USER:%MACHINE%\Administrator PASSWORD!
EXPLORER.EXE O:\Users

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users