Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hmmm... Can't find page in Edge & FireFox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:37 AM

Both FF and Edge were working until a few days ago. Now they work for some websites, but not for others. The error message is as shows in the attached screenshot for Edge. The one for FF is similar. It works for Google.com, but not for Amazon.com or msn.com.

A search turned up a bunch of different "solutions" involving such as:

1. Setting the preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the alternate to 8.8.4.4 (it is currently set to obtain the DNS server automatically.
  2. Setting the preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the alternate to 8.8.8.4.
  3. Disabling the proxy server.
  4. Clearing cache and cookies.

Do any of these people know what they are talking about?

As I said, it happens with both Edge and Firefox, so I doubt that it is a browser setting.

Thanks

Attached Files

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:16 AM

After a bit more reading, the website that suggested changing the DNS settings seemed like the best chance, since it was browser independent. So I follow the instructions here:

https://appuals.com/edge-responds-we-cant-reach-this-page/

and now both Edge and FF seem to be working as they were.

Is there any downside to this solution?

Is there a better solution?

#3 CaptObvious

CaptObvious

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

The fact this solved your problem means that you had a DNS problem originally. 
By default you should be using your ISP's DNS server, if you were still using those, then the issue was likely at your ISP.
If you have previously changed your DNS server to something else, then that whatever you changed them to was no longer working.

If you change ISP for example, you shouldn't continue using the previous ISP's DNS.

You also cannot arbitrarily use other ISP's DNS, while this may work initially, they may well eventually block you, as they provide that service for their own customers.
If you want to use a public free DNS service rather than your ISP, then the most commonly used ones are OpenDNS or Google DNS

The name servers you mentioned above (8.8.8.8,8.4.4) are the google public dns servers.

It is fine to use these, read about it here
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Just bear in mind that your ISP probably won't give you any support for any DNS issues unless you switch back to using theirs.

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

I have not changes ISPs in years. We have Comcast cable into the house and GoDaddy for email. So that makes GoDaddy the ISP, right?

What's odd is that it was working for a couple of months and then suddenly stopped.

I have 3 other computers all using the same connectivity. There are two old XP machines that are getting upgraded to two new Win 10 machines.

What's also odd is that the DNS settings on all 4 computers were set to obtain DNS server address automatically. It still is set that way on the other 3 computers, 2 XP and one Win 10. And they all work just fine. It's puzzling to me why just one of the Win 10 machines stopped working after it had been.

Just for fun, I changed the DNS setting on the 4th machine back to obtain DNS server address automatically and it is still working.

Any clue what happened?

#5 CaptObvious

CaptObvious

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

if comcast provides your internet access, then they are your ISP.

If you set the computer to get DNS automatically, then it will get the settings from your router, so it depends what the router is set you, so you should check your router settings.

If your router is set to get the dns automatically, then it should get your ISP's DNS servers, otherwise you can set them manually.
If you want to use google DNS, then I would suggest you set this on the router, and then set every computer to get the settings automatically, so everyone is using the same settings.

#6 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

OK, thanks. Any idea why it would suddenly stop working on just 1 of 4 machines all with the same settings and then start working again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users