Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapaters Disappearing (yes Plural)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zuli

zuli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

HP laptop pavilion zt300
Windows XP Pro SP 2

My laptop keeps losing its network adapters (both wireless and nic card). IE: when I "Show All Connections" I get "empty". The first time this happened I reloaded and re-created drivers to no avail.
Spent 4 hours with tech support trying to fix things. No Go. Finally they sent me email to change
registries etc. This worked and I was up and connecting again after several more hours.
BTW System Restore did not help as I'd get the message that nothing had changed so restore wouldn't be done.

About a week later it happened again and Sys Restore fixed it. It's now happening about
every other day after shutdown and I'm forced to use Sys Restore to get them back. Heck
at least it works.

I'm running Norton Anti-V, I've run SpyBot S&D, and Blacklight and find nothing seriously wrong.

I did install a loopback adapter to give me a static IP about a week before the first loss.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with auto-update, but I'm not sure how to turn auto update off.
Help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

Could you point out what you did to get the static IP? Specs of the hardware and links to the procedures might help.

Do you have a static IP from your ISP?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

Is this what you are talking about?

How to install the Microsoft Loopback adapter in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839013

If it is, why did you need that?

To configure TCP/IP for static addressing
Open Network Connections.

Right-click the network connection you want to configure, and then click Properties.

On the General tab (for a local area connection) or the Networking tab (all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

Click Use the following IP address, and do one of the following:

For a local area connection, in IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway addresses.

For all other connections, in IP address, type the IP address.

Click Use the following DNS server addresses.

In Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server, type the primary and secondary DNS server addresses.

To configure advanced static address settings for a local area connection, click Advanced, and do one or more of the following:

To configure additional IP addresses:
On the IP Settings tab, in IP addresses, click Add.
In TCP/IP Address, type an IP address in IP address and a subnet mask in Subnet mask, and then click Add.

Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each IP address you want to add, and then click OK.

To configure additional default gateways:
On the IP Settings tab, in Default gateways, click Add.

In TCP/IP Gateway Address, type the IP address of the default gateway in Gateway. To manually configure a default metric, clear the Automatic metric check box and type a metric in Metric.
Click Add.

Repeat steps 1 through 3 for each default gateway you want to add, and then click OK.

To configure a custom metric for this connection, on the IP Settings tab, clear the Automatic metric check box, and then type a metric value in Interface metric.

To open Network Connections, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users