Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parking Solution(s)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:54 PM

It's not like I own a Ferrari or a Jaguar which need garage protection ( I wish I wish!), however, for some reason I came upon a couple of YouTube videos showing clever ways to park your car (in your living room) or perhaps you want to park more than one car in a single car garage ( if only I had a basement and money for two cars  :hysterical: )

What do you think about these options?  :cowboy:

And one more....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz4QwzvFOi0&feature=youtu.be

Self edit to add just one more...for the car collectors in the house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lXGSdysyn0

Edited by softeyes, 29 January 2018 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:57 AM

I believe a millionaire would just build their own parking garage and problem would be solved.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

I believe a millionaire would just build their own parking garage and problem would be solved.

Yup! That's the materialistic world we live in. Heaven forbid someone has money and doesn't shove it in other people's face.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#4 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

I totally agree with the two of you and the concept of having millions and building your own garage for your autos! However, in my neck of the woods, land is just not a surplus. What would be considered a high end mansion on acres of land, has led to high rise condominium developments that are crammed into the tightest space on the lots left to build on. I think this holds true around the world. For fun...here is an example of a condo available in San Diego...the building was an office building conversion.....if you know of anyone who would like to enjoy the view of the ocean, pass this news along, the condo is just a few bucks  :lmao:

MLS #: 170017262
List Price: $10,120,000
Beds: 3
Baths: 3
Sq Feet: 3255
Price SQFT: $3,109
Year Built: 2017

Community: MUSE
City: LA JOLLA Condos
Zip Code: Condos For Sale in 92037

When you see the building, you would never know there are million dollar units inside. Here is a link to look at the inside of the unit: https://www.sandiegocondomania.com/info/displayCondo.php?mls=170017262 (Not bad, right!)

The building:
musecondobuilding.jpg

The location where you can see there isn't a square foot left to build on:
67cc838c-7c61-4466-84c4-219044f6135a-725

I worked in this location (La Jolla) for 10 years and honestly, the folks with money who lived there, and were mingling about the downtown area, blended in like normal folks.  Mind you, those who were tourists, and felt like they were "special" with lots of money, were a different story flaunting their money around displaying rudeness and "all about me" attention. 

Cabaret *money money money*.....

:hysterical:

#5 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

For sure! Not everywhere can facilitate mansions all over. I love the ideas of the parking though, as a techie nerd, I'd LOVE to have a cool hydraulic hide away car! Haha, if only I can find some millions  :hysterical:

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

softeyes, I cannot believe the price (is that 10 mil.?) and HOA dues of $2,288 for what it provides? Yikes!

Our new home (built 12 years ago) is in an extremely safe Del Webb community with HOA at $259/mo. that pays for 2 golf courses, 2 club houses w. stage room (get lots of high-end entertainment), honor library, billiard room, full-on gym, restaurant, indoor/outdoor pools & spas, beautiful manicured streets, 24/7 guard patrol (read:no crime) ... just to dang many things to list. Homeowners are responsible for their own gardeners of course. We have a 7,000 square foot lot. Pond/small waterfall in the back yard for ambience. Hardscaping the back was only $16,000. 
Oh, we have a garage for the 2 cars (new Hyundai Tuscan and a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vatari 4x4, worktruck's gone) and able to squeeze the golf cart in. I designed a sticker on the computer a few years back for the sides to name it "E Ticket" (the best Disneyland rides from the booklets they discontinued in the 80's).
Not bragging mind you, we moved from an 860 square foot condo with an HOA higher than ours that  covered a junk pool and outside gardeners that would blow leaves on people's patios, parking was one carport, my work truck in an outside space parking lot.
Paid only $380.000for our current home, 1760 sq. feet. Even has a 45 degree corner pantry in the kitchen I love (being the cook, you see) with all the amenities (2ovens, high -end other stuff) which beats the heck out of our tiny condo's kitchen.

Might be providing too much info here, but we worked for it. Forget La Jolla! A nice home can be ones own mansion. Period.

If I could afford a Ferrari or  Jaguar (or many others) forget it, unless I could splurge for an old Shelby 427 cu. in. V-8 Cobra just for the thrill of driving one. Only problem is environmentalists would shoot me! :) 

Edited by r.a.d., 30 January 2018 - 03:54 PM.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

We have lived in the same 100 year old house since 1978 and wouldn't even think of moving although now more space then we really use however it's paid off and all ours so why move.

We are in a quiet historic neighborhood and have good neighbors around us and also reasonably located to everything so it's all good.

Wouldn't even consider moving and having to buy a house at our age and having to make house payments again that would be a bummer.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

Toolman, there is that. 
We were actually considering a move (possibly Arizona/smaller house) under a HECM mortgage (pay half, that's it) but found we can do the same with our own home with a buy down, got an expert in the field and some extra bucks to do it with. Looking forward to no mortgage payments.
Moving is a major PITA we don't want to go through again, no way.
Sounds like a nice area where you're living and older houses can have a lot of character and charm. They don't build 'em like they used too. We're also surrounded by friendly neighbors, that is more important than many realize. 

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Toolman, there is that. 
We were actually considering a move (possibly Arizona/smaller house) under a HECM mortgage (pay half, that's it) but found we can do the same with our own home with a buy down, got an expert in the field and some extra bucks to do it with. Looking forward to no mortgage payments.
Moving is a major PITA we don't want to go through again, no way.
Sounds like a nice area where you're living and older houses can have a lot of character and charm. They don't build 'em like they used too. We're also surrounded by friendly neighbors, that is more important than many realize. 

Yup no mortgage payments is a good thing. :thumbup2:

Yes moving is a big PITA that we just wouldn't want to do and besides we love our old home and yes old houses do have a lot of character and also have a lot of expense for upkeep and repairs although so do new houses.

Yes where we live is nice and the neighbors are really cool and we never have any problems with undesirable types as we have our own neighborhood watch patrol and also a lot of police patrolling the area which I'm all for. :thumbsup:

We've lived here forty plus years and wouldn't be happy anywhere else. :wink:

#10 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

I love your "house stories!" The original parking discovery for me was amazing more for the mechanics of it all. Ultimately, the laviousness that came with my find is totally over-the-top for this simple gal!

@r.a.d. I feel like you have visited my house with your description about your previous house! My HOA is $323.00 a month, tiny pool heated in the summer (say what!!!) and as I type the leaf blowers are sending all of the debris into my patio! Talk about garages, mine is a single car and I have to back in to access my patio door!!! OMG...what will I do when I have cataracts! Grrr.. :lmao: As I read your current housing environment, I ask myself, "why" didn't I scoot over the hill to your neighborhood! I have a hunch I have a good idea where your development is and why you have a golf cart in your garage! (Big smile) What I am curious about, how do you handle the heat? Is your electric bill outrageous?

@The-Toolman, I love your story about your "old" house and your cozy neighborhood. There's nothing better than living where you like your neighbors and you feel safe. As I follow your posts here and there, I have a feeling that you are able to take care of most of your house repairs and maintenance. I sure wish I had the skills to take care of basic repairs in my house. The same as my frustration level is with basic car troubleshooting and repair!

I totally agree with both of you about moving, it's never fun! Even if we sell a house with profit, there are so many expenses not taken into consideration that can become undesirable, like capital gains  (unless you own a house outright like The-Toolman.) I'm sure both of you might agree, did we ever think we would be in a position where our current houses are our "forever homes!" And hopefully on one level  :lmao:

#11 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

softeyes, it's a very pleasant 80° right now, yeah, summers can be brutal, but it's a 'dry' heat (so's a blowtorch) but to be honest, I don't mind it. When visiting cooler climes I wear a sweat shirt, looking stupid. Typical desert rat. :)

Our central air isn't bad, even when it hits 120° degrees, we keep temps at a static setting (usually 78, good enough) , no ups or downs, it runs about $250 tops summer-wise, spring, fall and winter, nothing. Good insulation (blown-in cellulose). House is built for minimal upkeep as well and tightly constructed. 

At the condo we lived in there were sometimes rats & mice in the walls who would occasionally find a way inside to visit. 

BTW, cataracts can be easily fixed, had both done. No biggie except when they give you the mild anesthetic, my wife says I turn goofy. 

Funny about heat here, first year we went to one of the pools, July, 120°, I get out and say to my wife "Look, goose bumps!" the body turns into a radiator. 

If I recall correctly, you live in a nice area. Near the beach maybe?

We don't play golf, oh well. But the cart is good for cruising the community, decorate each year for the cart Christmas parade here too. 

We love it, simple as pie. If you ever move here, a house warming hello will be in the cards.

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

Hey softeyes,

Home repairs aren't that difficult if one is willing to learn some how to as whoever you hire will generally have a don't give crap attitude and will just half a$$ the repairs.

We still use window AC units to cool it in the summer and free standing gas stoves to heat it in the winter the old fashion way because central heat and air just ain't affordable for this big old house and since it's only the wife and I we only use a few rooms.

So it's cozy. :hug:

Edited by The-Toolman, 31 January 2018 - 04:45 PM.

#13 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

I've found another automated parking system that is just incredible to me (no Maseratis or Ferraris in this video :lmao: !) As I watched this video I couldn't help thinking about all of the design elements that went into these structures along with the massive hydraulic (I think) lift! I would love to have been in every meeting that took place from conceptual design to these finished buildings. The system in Germany left my stomach feeling like I was in a free fall! Could you imagine being in your car as it was lifted and parked into one of the spaces? WOW...

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

Dang, for the past two months my 1st. gen. outdated iPad's Safari has only shown an empty black box for YouTube vids., it's eating cyber dust. I'll enjoy it vicariously using imagination instead, lol!

softeyes, re:
"I worked in this location (La Jolla) for 10 years and honestly, the folks with money who lived there, and were mingling about the downtown area, blended in like normal folks.  Mind you, those who were tourists, and felt like they were "special" with lots of money, were a different story flaunting their money around displaying rudeness and "all about me" attention."

Some out of towers here make a point to say they're visiting their 'second' house and some are rude. Maybe attributable to unhappiness and/or 'hidden' low self-esteem? Whatever it may be, I wouldn't want to wear their shoes no matter what their wealth. They also seem unaware that they're impressing no one at all.

Toolman, we were fortunate to find a couple handymen (one general and one air & heat) who are outstanding and reasonable. In my own business (painting/light construction) I lived by an adage 'Do one job at a time, do it once, do it right.' Makes a difference, and I expect the same from anyone we hire. So far we have (knock on wood).

#15 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Hey r.a.d. I have a few ideas about your 1st generation iPad/Safari and YouTube if you want to mess with it? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users