Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

battery driver messed up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Hello,

Lately the battery on my computer has been acting up. I'll be working on my laptop unplugged and all of a sudden it will shut down. This will happen when the battery reads half full. I can start it up again by plugging it in. I leave it plugged in for a couple minutes and then unplug it just to check what percentage it reads. Indeed, it continues to read about 50% full (or a variety of values far above 0%).

I'm wondering if there's a problem with the battery driver. How would I do repairs or diagnostics on the battery driver?

I've got Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:57 PM

Your battery is probably going bad. You can do a battery report showing the charge capacity vs it's design capacity.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/generate-battery-report-windows-10

If the command fails it may be because of powershell. If you see powershell as admin vs command prompt you can change to command from powershell.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-command-prompt-power-user-menu-windows-10-creators-update

#3 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

Thanks JonhC,

Here's a link to the report:

http://www.shahspace.com/battery-report.html

What can you make of it?

If you look at the "Battery usage" section, you can see a sharp drop at 7:05 on Jan 29. That's exactly when it happened. I opened my laptop at around 7:05 and after about 6 or 7 minutes (6 min and 45 sec according to the table) it spontaneously dropped by 73%. That's exactly what I experienced.

What does this mean?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

From the report your battery is good. I think your shutdown problems are due to something else.

Look at your 2018-01-29 date. The battery was drained by 73% in just under 6 minutes. I can't explain that. You may want to check your event logs during that time to see what you were doing.

Edit: I PM'd a moderator will hardware experience and it was suggested you may have a short in one of the battery cells which would give you that  large discharge rate. If you cannot borrow an identical battery, run the computer without a battery and see if the computer shuts itself down which would indicate a PSU or heating problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2018 - 11:53 AM.

#5 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Thanks John,

That makes sense.

I've never had this shut down issue with the laptop plugged in, which is the majority of the time (though I haven't tried with the battery removed). I think your idea of getting an identical battery and seeing if the problem persists is a good idea as well. That will tell me for sure whether it's the battery or the computer.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users