Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox memory leakage; System slowdown; Can't uninstall old Norton software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sbutk1

sbutk1

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Hi.  I’ve been experiencing a series of problems with this computer lately (Windows 7 Professional, SP1) that I originally got some help with from some other Bleeping Computer members.  The problems at one point bogged down my CPU and rendered my system all but unusable, around the time that Firefox v. 57.0 (Quantam) was rolled out. 

Although my situation has changed somewhat now, the original help request and ensuing advice – as well as much background information about my system - can be found in the following thread:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/663719/firefox-browser-severe-slowdown;-cpu-usage-100/

In summary, my two helpers were able to help alleviate my initial logjam with Firefox Quantam (and it’s also likely that the folks at Mozilla have improved their product a great deal in the meantime).  However I am still experiencing what I would best describe as memory leakage when using Firefox; and this seems to hog system resources to the point that simple copy-and-paste operations into MS Word; opening folders in Windows Explorer; and other basic operations such as saves can take a painfully long time to complete.  I have seen the dreaded “Not Responding” header at the top of a lot of applications far too often.  This leads me to believe that my system often becomes dangerously short on resources, and the even most mundane of tasks takes forever.

As can be seen in the linked thread, it was suggested that my system may be infected with malware – even though my installed Webroot antivirus protection insists I’m not.  Subsequently one of the users keenly observed that in addition to Webroot I apparently also have remnants of my previous antivirus software, Norton, still residing on my computer.  At his advice I’ve attempted to remove Norton, but have been unable in doing so using Control Panel or either of the software pieces that he linked to (those being Official Uninstaller or RevoUninstaller).

As I mentioned I’ve already run a number of computer diagnostics as a result of the discussion in that thread.  If anyone has any further suggestions for me, or requests any further information from me, I’d be anxious to hear – assuming those steps will likely get me one step closer to having this computer once again humming along as best as can be.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

I feel it is better to just take a deep look.. Repost this info with an FRST log by doing steps 6 and 7 here..
Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

I feel it is better to just take a deep look.. Repost this info with an FRST log by doing steps 6 and 7 here..
Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..

Many thank yous, and a thousand apologies… Upon diligently checking this thread for a response for the first two weeks and seeing none, I somewhat lost sight of it (about a month ago) until another helper recently questioned whether I’d posted here.  Reading the content of the links you provided has given me new hope that this may very well be the beginning of the end of my computer woes.  That being said, I shall promptly go about assembling the requested info and creating my new post.  Once that’s done, I will surely return here and report accordingly. Once again, thank you very much for your assistance!

-Steve

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

You're very welcome ... You will get one on one assistance with the new log topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

You're very welcome ... You will get one on one assistance with the new log topic.

Further seeking your advice... In addition to my verbal description of the problem in my new log topic, should I also include pasted results of other scans already performed at the recommendation of helpers in this forum (e.g. MiniToolbox, Speccy... ); or for the sake of neatness, should I merely link back to my original thread containing that info?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

Hi, You can mention you have the other logs in the new topic. But just start with FRST.. Your helper will take it from there.

#7 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Hi, You can mention you have the other logs in the new topic. But just start with FRST.. Your helper will take it from there.

Great. THANK YOU!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users