Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hyper-sensitive touchpad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RhinoCan

RhinoCan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

I have a Dell laptop, an Inspiron 5559. It's just over two years old now and the touchpad has been a royal pain from Day 1. I have installed updated drivers a couple of times and believe I have the "latest and greatest" ones on the computer but they are still annoying the heck out of me.

A consistent annoyance has been its tendency to frequently assume that I had clicked on something that I did NOT click on. This results in windows closing or in text suddenly getting deleted or even in files getting deleted if I'm in File Explorer. But the most annoying thing has been its tendency to treat left clicks as right clicks. When I left-click on something on a website or in File Explorer, 90% of the time it behaves as if I've right-clicked and gives me a context menu. Then I have to hit escape to make that go away, then try my left-click again. Typically this cycle repeats three or four times until it finally treats the click as a left-click rather than a right-click. It's VERY frustrating. It's as if the only place it interprets the click correctly if I'm within a half-inch of the bottom left corner of the touchpad: anywhere else seems to be takes as a right-click even though I'm far to the left of the halfway point on the touchpad.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem that fixes the touchpad? I really don't want to go back to a mouse or other device to do my clicking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Do you have a Device Settings tab under Mouse Properties in Windows 10 Settings. Likely to be found under Devices > Mouse > Related Settings > Additional Mouse Options.

If so you can adjust your sensitivity there. If you don't have that tab. You might see if there are new drivers for it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:30 PM

Have you gone through all the settings for the mousepad on your device?

Problems such as you describe are often the result of gestures being enabled that you really don't use or want to have enabled.  I don't know what interface is used for the mousepad settings for your machine, but the Synaptics Pointing Device settings on mine are extensive.  I also had one laptop on which I could never get the "tap to click" sensitivity to be "insensitive enough".  On that one I turned off tap to click and used the hard buttons below the mousepad exclusively for click related actions.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

Do you have a Device Settings tab under Mouse Properties in Windows 10 Settings. Likely to be found under Devices > Mouse > Related Settings > Additional Mouse Options.

If so you can adjust your sensitivity there. If you don't have that tab. You might see if there are new drivers for it.

I have the Additional Mouse Options dialog but I don't see any sensitivity setting in any of the five tabs.

Edit:

Oh wait. I'm talking about going in through Control Panel but you mean through Settings. Let me try with the Settings app. Bingo. I actually have specific settings for the Touchpad under Devices and one of them is for Sensitivity. It is set to Medium Sensitivity. I'll try Low Sensitivity and see if that works better. If that makes it worse, I'll go to High Sensitivity. I'll try to remember to report back.

Second edit:

Things are not quite perfect yet but they seem a lot better since I changed the sensitivity of the touchpad to Low from Medium. I think I can live with the current setting; it's certainly a lot better than what it was. Thank you!

Edited by RhinoCan, 30 January 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

Look under "Pointing".

There is always a sensitivity setting for mousepads.  You may have to dig around to find it as it's not always "on the surface" but part of the drill-down in a given settings tab.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users