Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto-refreshes in Windows?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RhinoCan

RhinoCan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

A few months back, I noticed that Windows had started a new bit of behaviour that I've been finding quite annoying: it refreshes a view of a folder in File Explorer spontaneously *without* my having requested it.

For example, if I'm gradually scrolling down a Details view or a Large Icons view that fills several pages, I might be several pages down when it spontaneously refreshes and I'm suddenly back at  the top of the list. I'm at a loss to know what is triggering this behaviour but I'd really like to stop it if I can. I keep losing my place and having to start over. (I also see this behaviour occasionally if I'm on a website that has Disqus on it; I start reading through the comments in Disqus and then, bingo, the page completely redraws and it repositions to the first comment. However, this may be a browser or website issue for all I know.)

I'm guessing that some genius at Microsoft perceived a reason for this and added it to Windows, although what reason that could be eludes me. In any case, I'm hoping there's some way to turn it off.

Can anyone advise me on how to disable that "feature"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Do you have a Windows 10 theme that changes your wallpaper every so often?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files-insiderplat_pc/stop-automatic-refresh-in-explorer/77a64106-df21-470d-81fc-e0efac357537

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 RhinoCan

RhinoCan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

I definitely *do* have my wallpaper change regularly; quite frequently in fact. Probably more frequently than I'm seeing the refreshes. But I'll try changing the timing on that (or stopping it entirely) and see if that fixes the problem.

I will try to remember to post back with my results.

Edit:

I changed my refresh time from 1 minute to 6 hours - okay, both settings are a bit extreme but I will likely change them again soon - and the auto-refresh doesn't seem to be happening in File Explorer at all any more, which makes that a much nicer experience. I haven't tried a web page using Disqus yet to see if *that* auto-refresh has stopped but the one in File Explorer was, by far, the biggest nuisance. I'm a happy camper now!  Thanks VERY much!

Edited by RhinoCan, 30 January 2018 - 06:51 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community. Thank you as well for updating us, so that we know you had a positive outcome for your issue.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users