Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot set up questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

I currently have Mint 18.2 and Elementary OS installed in dual boot.  I would like to install MX Linux over Elementary.  I installed Mint first then Elementary...if that matters.  I've never had to deal with selecting a mount partition, swap, or home. So what I would like to know/understand is how to pick the correct partitions for doing this.  I attached a jpg of my disk partition configuration if that helps.  Mint is on partition 1.

Thanks,
Scott

Attached Files

Edited by snglnluvnit, 29 January 2018 - 05:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

Got it figured out!  But thanks to everyone who stopped by to at least give it a look!

Scott

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

Yeah sorry, but I usually just wing it and not super proficient in Linux.  It would seem that you just needed to Choose the Partition you wanted to install to and make sure to Select Format once done.  Pretty simple, but it's been a while since I've done one with Only One Partition.

Now, open "System Monitor" to see if your Swap Partition is Active on the New Install.  This is the only issue I've had with Installing over another on a Dual Boot.  I've also been scorn for helping others when I'm not sure of the directions, and now that I don't spend lot's of time on Linux,  I just don't have the experience to advise as much anymore.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users