Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 x64 enterprise shows only black screen after automatic update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 homedoc

homedoc

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi there, several days ago win 10 Enterprise x64 did an automatic update. It changed the photographic image which appears on the background on startup. It also seems to have changed the color scheme to blue. Since then I have had the following problem. I've tried numerous solutions but nothing helps.

PROBLEM: on start up, after logging in as administrator, the desktop is black and has no icons and no taskbar. Shortly after boot a window appears on left labeled personal settings. However if I click on it I get a message that windows explorer has crashed. Advanced system care pops up a window reporting my boot up time. In the upper right corner a performance monitor widget from Advanced System Care opens. It appears to be functioning and kinetically shows CPU and disk usage displays as well as a window showing running processes. If I hit cntl-alt-del, I get the menu of change choices and the little power icon in lower right from which I can shutdown, restart etc. If selected from this menu, Task manager starts (wait circle appears for a few seconds) but never opens and then the cursor returns to an arrow.

If I log in as a user the same sequence occurs except that the Advanced system care performance monitor widget does not appear.

If I boot into safe mode as admin, I get a taskbar with icons and a black desktop with no icons. If I move the cursor over the taskbar, it changes to an hour glass. If I click on a quick launch icon with the hourglass, I get a message saying the application is not responding. I can get a context menu on right clicking the empty desktop but none of the options works. Right clicking the taskbar does nothing. When I use cntl-alt-del to bring up the power down menu and select shutdown, I get a message that another user is also using the PC but I can shut it down anyway.

Safe mode as a user hangs at startup with a black screen.

The display works fine in command prompt mode, in command prompt from the advanced options menu (in which case the command prompt is windowed with the label administrator: x:\windows\system\ cmd.Exe) as well as if I boot into any kind of recovery CD.

Prior to that, I discovered that restore points were disabled and I fixed that. However, the only restore point on the system does not fix the problem.

I can download and burn boot-up iso files at the local library if needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

Which update was installed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users