Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop with non-replaceable keyboard - this is a first!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

A friend of mine has a Toshiba Satellite C55T-5300 on which the keyboard has begun to go wonky.  So, I thought, sure, I'll replace the keyboard for you.

Researched a number of the Toshiba C50 series machines to see what was required to replace the keyboard and thought it would be easy.  Well, to my amazement, the island keyboard (while having the replacement part readily available) is held in to the case via a metal plate as well as several plastic posts that come through the keyboard itself that are "melt-riveted" on.  That is, it's clear that heat is applied to a bunch of plastic posts that stick up through the keyboard itself (there are multiple holes in it) and the metal plate and heat is applied to make the post tips mushroom out and hold it all in place.  There is absolutely no practical way to remove this thing and replace it!  To add insult to injury one must remove the motherboard to find out that this is the situation!

I intend to put the thing back together just in case she wants to have it as a backup to use with an external keyboard.  But, since I had to remove the motherboard I had to separate the heat sink from the processor, which means I have to repaste the thing.

I'm looking for recommendations for both thermal paste cleaners and thermal paste itself.  I haven't had to deal with either in ages and I have no idea if there is any real quality difference between all the brands or not.

[And, no, I couldn't think of the perfect place to vent or to ask what I've asked about.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

I've seen something like this before where the keyboard was integrated with the touchpad and palm rest. Pretty messed up. Here is your keyboard. Hey, it's called design for assembly or in other words lets screw the consumer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Toshiba-Satellite-C55T-C5300-15-6-Palmrest-Keyboard-w-Touchpad-A000388600-/272795422490

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,599 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

John,

The kicker is that the keyboard itself is a standard island keyboard used by Toshiba (and, I presume, others) in multiple models.  It is only by dint of the design of the upper part of the laptop on the body side that this cannot be replaced.  Even though laptop keyboards do not need replacement all that often, they still need them enough that making that impossible is ridiculous.

And, yes, the item you gave the link to on eBay is precisely what you find after you drop off the fan, motherboard, etc., all of which screw in to that item (and that includes the bottom cover for all of the "innards".

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

For cleaning off the thermal paste you can use coffee filters and 91% alcohol. Any of the good thermal compounds will do.

https://www.gamingscan.com/best-thermal-paste/

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:28 PM

Just quote your friend the cost to replace and leave it up to them to decide if they want to cough up for a new key board, touch pad and palm rest

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,599 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

As an aside on the thermal paste, I ended up buying:  Halnziye HY710 10g Silver Thermal Paste High Performance Heatsink Compound for CPU GPU LED

I far preferred the small container format and the applicator trowel that allowed me to spread the stuff out somewhat before mating the heat sink to the processor.  It worked like a charm and the i3-5020U is running right around 45-50° C at rest or under light load, which is precisely what I'd expect.

The more I read up on thermal paste the more all the claims being made about specific ones being so much better than others seemed to me to be more about marketing hype than fitness to purpose.  The differences could easily be within the margin of error in virtually every case.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

That looks like a good product for the price from reviews on multiple sites. A nice amount too.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,599 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

That looks like a good product for the price from reviews on multiple sites. A nice amount too.

And for those doing work where they go through this stuff way more rapidly than I ever would (as 10g is probably a "someone's inheritance" amount for me) there is a 20g size available on Amazon for $2 more than the 10g size.

#9 NickIrwin

NickIrwin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:32 AM

Before Giving you any Advice on the Thermal Paste Removal method, here is the Warning...

Do not use any other cleaners on either your CPU or heatsink as they are conductive and can leave behind residue.

To Remove the Thermal Paste Firstly you have to wipe the surface with the dry cloth to remove the big chunks as much as you can. After that Apply a small amount of Alcohol directly to the cloth, this step is not important when working with the heat sink, but in case of thermal paste, it is very important. Wipe the Remaining thermal paste and reapply the Alcohol once again before the surface looks shiny and clean. I hope this will help you. 

For the Best Thermal Paste recommendation, you can go through this article on the google, I have recently bought Noncapacitive Noctua thermal paste - https://www.glinkster.com/best-thermal-paste/

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

In those times where the plastic on a standoff has been melted to hold the item(keyboard) in place, I have an old 75 watt soldering iron with a knife blade tip.  Heated up, the blade can quickly slice the head off flush with the surface.  The item can then be unmounted and replaced.  Small plastic tapping screws and washers will then thread down into the post and hold the item in place.  The heated knife must be done with enough wattage to do this quickly to avoid melting anymore of the post.    For the professional, brass inserts can be mounted in the post and regular screws used.

Edited by mjd420nova, 10 May 2018 - 01:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users