Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running cat5e down/inside copper pipe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carsey1990

carsey1990

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Hi all

Currently planning to run 2 lengths of cat5e between upstairs and downstairs whilst redecorating to remove the cable under the carpet we have currently.

Ive spied a route for the lengths of cable to run, however theres a old copper pipe up to the loft I can use which ends exactly where I need it to be.

Is there any adverse effects of running 2 lengths of cat5e inside a copper pipe?  FIrst guess would be interference but not sure how it would affect it.

Cheers

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

As far as I know, you shouldn't run into any problems with interference, unless there's cables exposed or it's run very close to an electrical source. Most of your interference is really only going to get caused by radio frequencies, but if those copper pipes are carrying a charge that could do it. You could always run STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) if you're really worried about interference.

Edited by C0bra, 29 January 2018 - 03:40 PM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Good discussion about it here. Stick with cat5e vs 6 in the thread.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

The only consideration I would have, is if your copper piping is also used for grounding within the building. You could have some voltage leakage which would not be good i.e. interference as you mention. If you have cut it off and there is no water or other liquids in the pipe and it's isolated you should be fine and consider your copper pipe an Ethernet cable conduit. Before you pull the Cat5e through the copper pipe. You might also want to run a pull cleaner (duct brush) through it and see if there is any corrosion. If there is corrosion present, it could could eventually migrate to the jacketing of the Cat5e and eat through your new installation.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 carsey1990

carsey1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Thats not too bad then.  I know its definitely got nothing in as vertical pipe up the chimnea breast and cut both sides.  Grounding im not sure but cant imagine it is due to the location of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users