Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox crashes with no recent restore option

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cheyspc

cheyspc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

This has been happening for awhile. I have disabled all add-ons etc and thought it solved the problem but it is still happening. When I open it my tabs are gone and there is only one page that is black. I can't figure this one out. It's been happening for a few weeks now.  Any ideas or is this happening to anyone else?  This m first post so I am not sure how to add an attachment to show what the page looks like when I try to reopen FF. Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cheyspc

cheyspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:45 AM

It just happened again and I am frustrated. Does anyone know how I can fix this. I am losing all my tabs when this happens.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing Firefox ? 

Chris Cosgrove

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

You could also attempt to Refresh Firefox.

Were I you I would switch over to Chrome, Opera, or some other browser of your choosing until you feel assured that whatever you've done has solved the issue since it seems like losing all of these tabs is a major problem for you.   Also, just for curiosity, what do you have the "When Firefox starts" setting in the General tab of Options set to?  If it's not "Show your windows and tabs from last time" you could try continuing with Firefox with this setting on and seeing if your last batch of windows and tabs do show up on the next Firefox restart even if it shuts down unexpectedly.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 cheyspc

cheyspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

I uninstalled and reinstalled last week but it happened again a few days later.

Yes, I have it set to continue. I keep several tabs open but close when not using.  Most of the time there is no problem. This started happening a couple of months ago. And I can't find any trigger causing it.  I did a screenshot of how it looks but I don't know how to post it here. I have started using Microsoft edge but may switch to Chrome. Thanks for the suggestions!  I will try to refresh next.

Edited by cheyspc, 07 February 2018 - 08:45 PM.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:24 AM

I  would try disabling Hardware Acceleration.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1123638

#7 cheyspc

cheyspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Thanks!

#8 cheyspc

cheyspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:34 AM

Disabled hardware acceleration but it just happened again.  Thinking I am just going to stop using it all together. I have switched browsers but still went back occasionally because of bookmarks but I am done with this. Thanks for trying to help.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,320 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

Just FYI, and in case you didn't know, it's a simple matter to export all of your Bookmarks to an HTML file and import them on any other browser of your choosing.

These days its very common when installing a new browser for the first time for it to ask if you wish to import the bookmarks from one of the existing browsers on your system.

Problems like this fascinate me simply because they are sometimes inexplicable.  I've got Firefox Quantum on every machine in my household and not a one has ever had the slightest issue.  Why these sorts of problems occur, seemingly for no reason, on one machine and not on another is a real mystery.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 cheyspc

cheyspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

Firefox has always been my go to.  I am using other browsers but just don't like them as much. I did export the bookmarks to Edge but it's not the same.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,320 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

The only thing I could suggest is an uninstall/reinstall, and by uninstall I mean using Firefox's uninstaller first, followed by something like Revo Uninstaller just to make sure that every bit of it has been purged before reinstalling.

It would also be helpful if you would publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Also, are you certain that all of your device drivers, and particularly display drivers, are on the latest versions for the hardware and OS you're running?  Certain really flaky problems are not, directly anyway, the fault of a given program but in how it's interacting with devices.  Developers expect certain things to be happening in a certain way, and if they're not, havoc can ensue.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 cheyspc

cheyspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Will I lose anything by uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox the way you suggested?  My computer is less than a year old and I always install updates when prompted.  Thank you so much for you help and here is the link you asked for  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VdpjodZzKXCBZN4MJOC284t

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,320 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:55 PM

The only thing you might lose is your Firefox user profile, which isn't a huge deal if you've exported your bookmarks.  It's also even less of a deal if you're using the Firefox sync feature, which puts all of your bookmarks, add-ons, etc., in your Firefox account on the cloud and these will all be reloaded (after the sync has completed) as soon as you log in on the fresh installation of Firefox.

Also, is this computer actually a tablet?  It's being reported as such by Speccy.  I can't imagine you'd be in tablet mode on a laptop or desktop and not realize it, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, seeing that you have Intel Graphics I would definitely make certain that you have the latest drivers, preferably downloaded from the computer manufacturer's support page for your model, or directly from Intel if absolutely necessary.

~ Brian Vogel

#14 cheyspc

cheyspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:14 AM

IThanks. Not a tablet, and all in one pc.  I will check on the drivers in the morning. thanks! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users