Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding Dual cpu server motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Penelo911

Penelo911

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

I want to build a new computer with a budget of 3500$. I need it as a base for my workstation for Video editing and batch Render + Simulation. It is a bit Overkill for what I need i'm completly aware of that but need some tips :o

I'm going as spoiled in the title for a Server motherboard to build a Workstation, not a Server. (~700$)

Kinda have an idea for the ram, see below: 2 X (~420$) (64Gb)

http://store.supermicro.com/x11/32gb-ddr4-2666-mem-dr432l-cl02-er26.html#tabs1

The motherboard will also have 'Cpu socket 2011-3' or better if i'm able to find any (For better processors).

Some motherboards allow for like 16 slots of ram. Taking into account 32Gb per stick, I could go up to 512Gb of ram. Although most processors can only hold for like 64Gb or 128Gb. Does each processor deal with his own 128Gb of ram or is that limitation true to all ram combined? Meaning that having 2 of them I could go up to 256Gb of ram since each of them manage their own sticks, or it can't add up and the limit over the entire motherboard will be 128Gb because of the limitation of 1 Cpu. Although the motherboard itself is suppose to be smart and deal wisely with the ram to spread it so being able to use all of their slots despise the Cpus limiation, reaching that 512Gb mark. 

I'm confused :o

Processor: (~650$)

2 X  ;  https://ark.intel.com/fr/products/94188/Intel-Core-i7-6850K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

GPU: (~1200$)

Titan X 12GB

Also in those criteria what motherboard would you suggest? It seems like most of these are pretty rare on single sale. You have to buy them in batch normally.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

I'm afraid you can't use those Core i7 processors in dual processor configurations.  Note in the specification "Scalability - 1S Only".  You have to use Xeon E5-2XXX or above.  Example - https://ark.intel.com/products/92984/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2640-v4-25M-Cache-2_40-GHz

As you will see the question regarding RAM becomes moot with them because they support over 1.5 Tb with special load reduced memory (LR-DIMM's).

I don't know whether this changes anything with regards to your plans?  Note you can get a hell of a lot of computing power out of one socket these days, for example with AMD Threadripper 1950X (16 cores/32 Threads), and they usually cost less than dual processor systems to make.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Penelo911

Penelo911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Oh. It does change my plans. Wanted to avoid Xeon because I don't have the money for it. Thought it would work for now because Motherboards seem to become outdated way less often than other pieces. Temporary CPu in short. If I can't avoid them might just go with single cpu. AMD as way less durability though, is that true? Or with enough cooling it can withstand time and renders?

If I stay with it its best counter-part is this surprising beast :) :

https://ark.intel.com/fr/products/83358/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2637-v3-15M-Cache-3_50-GHz

Thanks!

I'll look up but do you have any preferences in a motherboard that fits LGA 1151 socket?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

I'm not aware of AMD processors being less durable.  Where did you hear that?  I'm using a Ryzen 1700X OC'd at 3.8 Ghz, and it's been pretty stable so far.  With a big air cooler, it stays under 70 degrees during video rendering and stuff.  Some of the cheaper motherboards aren't up to that though, and their voltage regulators get very hot with overclocking an 8 core.  Not sure on TR4 Threadripper boards, but they are all quite pricey so you should reasonably expect good build quality with those.  Anyway,  I digress...

Socket 1151 motherboard - you mean for Coffee Lake?  The Asus Z370A Prime looks a nice board, is quite popular with reputable system builders which is a good sign, and has a good mix of features and build quality.

Edited by jonuk76, 29 January 2018 - 10:23 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Penelo911

Penelo911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot, i'll look into that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users