Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Restore Backup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bintyre

bintyre

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Win 98 SE

Backed up files on an external drive but when I try to load them on my computer I get this error message:

"cannot copy (file name): the filename you specified is invalid or too long. Specify a different file name."

I can't cut and paste my files because the file names are too long, must be hundreds of them and shortening ONE file name requires me to restart the paste all over again. Takes about 20 minutes EACH time. Have to find another way. I tried the MS backup and it does not recognize my new drive, wants to backup to my C drive only. Can't change the drive destination! Got any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

It soudns to me like either the files on your external drive have become corrupted, or perhaps the drive itself has gone up. IN either case, there's really isn't much you can do.

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:46 PM

Hi, bintyre.

Was this a backup you took off of another computer? You are trying to copy the files into a folder on your computer, right?(wasn't totally clear in your post). What is the exact path that you are trying to copy these to? Try to create a folder on your local c:\ drive. Make sure that the created folder is not underneath another folder(subfolder), and name it A. Try to copy and paste into this folder and see if that works.

Edited by Joshuacat, 30 September 2006 - 08:47 PM.

JC

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:03 AM

What program did you use to make the backup?
Did you use the same program to restore it?

#5 bintyre

bintyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

My computer has two HDs, the original C drive and a 10GB HD in the base. I cut and pasted from the C to the D. Now I can't backup from the D to a new external 80 GB drive. In fact I think the last time I tried, I can no longer back up from my C drive to the D for the same long file name reason.

If I note the long file name, stop the backup, find the file and shorten the name - then I can go back and restart the backup and it works until I come to ANOTHER long file name. That is the problem there are hundreds of them...

I think it is not that the file name is too long, they are not. But the path exceeds the limit of 250 letters or whatever it is. I get several in the same folder often...

???

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:34 AM

Are these FAT files or NTSF?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

Are you just trying to copy and paste or are you using a backup program?

#8 bintyre

bintyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

They are FAT and I just copy and paste them onto the other HD. Most of them are files that were created in WordPerfect. Could that be the problem???

Thanks.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Why are the file names so long?

The fact that they were created in Word Perfect should not matter.

There is available software to shorten filenames including some that are freeware.

I have never used any of these but a Google search for "shorten file names" will provide links to a number of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users