Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Power hibernation issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wufiavelli

wufiavelli

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

hd 640gb wd 640aals
120gb ssd (windows 10)
Asus p8p67
intel core i5 2500k (cpu cooler loki sd963
8gb ram
ge force gtx 970
corsair cx500m power supply (about two years old.)

After a windows update a few months back whenever my computer powers down in certain ways it goes into a weird hibernation and will not wake up or post for 24 hours.  I cannot even get a monitor signal.  I have tried reassembling it piece by piece,  draining the battery,  resetting the motherboard with the switch thingy,  nothing can kick this in.  I have disabled all hibernation options in windows and still get issues.  24 hours later though the computer starts with no issues..

When the computer starts i hear fans and some cpu activity,  but get no signal.  On normal start up it does a double boot,  will boot once,  reset and boot again.  When the issues is about I only get one boot.  Its kind of like its booting into hibernation mode.

-Putting the computer into hibernation mode or shutting down with keyboard button brings this about.

-Holding the power button for a hard  off brings this about.

-recently resetting bios options (there are options for power saving,  high performance ect.) and saving and restarting brings this about..

Is it possible the power supply is too weak?

Issues with fast start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

Disabling fast startup has resolved issues like this.  I would give this a try first.

Open the Control Panel, select Power Options.

In the upper left portion click/tap on Choose what what buttons do.

Click/tap on Change setting that are currently unavailable.

Under Shutdown settings remove the check from the Turn on fast startup (Recommended) box.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wufiavelli

wufiavelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

nice thanks,  ill give that a try next go around.  (have to wait for the next 24 hours)

#4 wufiavelli

wufiavelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

Ok so this time it is past the time it would normal start up and nothing is happening.  This time is different from the others in the fact it happened on a restart after I tried to use the performance option in the bios menu.  I tried to clear the ram with RTC thingy but that has had no effect.  Is there any way of tricking the fast start into letting me into Bios?

edit:  Clearing Cmos,  and changing cmos battery did not seem to anything.

Edited by wufiavelli, 30 January 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

Fast Startup has nothing to do with the BIOS.  You can either enable it or disable it.  Please only do what I've suggested, don't experiment.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 wufiavelli

wufiavelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

Sorry about that.  Not trying to experiment,  I cant even boot to Bios let a lone windows to disable.  i am guessing my problems are far past fast startup now.  I am just getting a fan noise,  some hard drive sounds and no signal to the monitor.  It use to be like that before but I would be able to boot the next day if I waited it out.  Now it looks like waiting it out doesn't work anymore.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

To access the BIOS you will need to start the computer and start tapping the Delete key until the BIOS opens.  If you can boot into the BIOS and see it on the monitor the problem is most likely software related.

The GPU you are using requires at least a 500W PSU which you have.  But you are at the minimum wattage required for this GPU.

Edit:  You can also try doing the following.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  This will not effect your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Edited by dc3, 30 January 2018 - 11:40 AM.

#8 wufiavelli

wufiavelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

Ok i was able to turn off fast startup.   Hopefully this will stop the issues. Turns out there is something weird with the tpu/epu setting on the motherboard.   TPU enabled,  EPU disabled things start fine,  if its anything else its basically a brick with fans.    Thanks for the help.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Are you aware of what the TPU and EPU settings do?

The TPU (TurboV Processing Unit) auto accelerates the system to a optimized and stable condition.  Basically it is overclocking.  This can raise the temperature high enough that if you are using a stock fan and heatsink on the CPU you can overheat it.

The EPU (Energy Processing Unit) is a real-time power managing and optimization system which is a energy saving feature.

If you haven't already, you should read the user's manual to understand what these do before enabling them.

Edited by dc3, 31 January 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#10 wufiavelli

wufiavelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Yeh,  I knew about the settings in Bios,  didn't realize they were on the motherboard till going through this process.  oddly it seems if I set them in bios but don't flip the switches I will just get a black screen.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Since you now know what is causing your problem you can resolve this issue yourself. :thumbup2:

#12 wufiavelli

wufiavelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

Thanks again for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users