Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore and Restore Previous Versions on Non-System HDD?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:16 AM

Hi,

I am considering getting a Windows 10 PC with these two internal drives:

SSD (512 GB) - For Windows 10 OS and apps
HDD (2 TB) - For data only

Could you please advise:

1) Should System Restore and Restore Previous Versions be enabled on my HDD (in addition to the SSD)?

2) If they are enabled on the HDD, onto which drive are its shadow copies (restore points) saved?

3) Does System Restore have any effect on non-system drives?

I'm thinking that the HDD would potentially benefit from Restore Previous Versions but not System Restore.  However, as both operate around restore points they are enabled together.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:27 AM

When you install Windows 10 on SSD drive by default Windows 10 will disable System Restore tool.

You cannot enable System Restore tool for any other attached drives except for drive where you have installed Windows 10.

The Restore Previous Versions feature is no longer supported by Windows 10 but you can use ShadowExplorer to restore lost or damaged files from Shadow Copies.

Posted Image

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

When you install Windows 10 on SSD drive by default Windows 10 will disable System Restore tool.

The Restore Previous Versions feature is no longer supported by Windows 10 but you can use ShadowExplorer to restore lost or damaged files from Shadow Copies.

Why would Microsoft do that? Even if System Restore is enabled Restore Previous Versions is gone in Windows 10? Why is System Restore being disabled on SSDs. 

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Why would Microsoft do that? Even if System Restore is enabled Restore Previous Versions is gone in Windows 10? Why is System Restore being disabled on SSDs. 

Even do you cannot use Restore Previous Versions feature in Windows 10 the Shadow Copies still contains full C: partition files and folders backups and they take lots of storage space as you know SSD drives installed on computers usually have limited storage space these days. 

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 January 2018 - 09:38 AM.

Posted Image

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had a suspicion is was because of SSDs not having as much capacity as HDDs. At least there is Shadow Copies available for Previous Versions.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had a suspicion is was because of SSDs not having as much capacity as HDDs. At least there is Shadow Copies available for Previous Versions.

You are very welcome!

Posted Image

#7 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for your helpful replies.  I will take a look at the ShadowExplorer tool.

I would prefer to have System Restore on the main system drive - even if it does take some space on the SSD.  It would be nice to be able to roll back easily if something goes wrong - especially considering that Windows 10 Updates are automatic (with no option to control this).

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Press Win + R keys and type sysdm.cpl and click OK.

From System Protection  tab click Configure button.

Select Turn on system protection and click on Apply.

system-restore-disabled.jpg

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 January 2018 - 04:44 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users