Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

when u need something glued right the first time what do you use?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:01 AM

ive tried that gorilla glue and crazy glue

i think the problem i have is that i dont have much area left to glue together

just breaks off

anyone recommend something really strong

im trying to glue a handle back to a crank radio, its the crank handle itself.

lots of plastic underneath is just gone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:19 AM

There are types of plastic that cannot be glued, and if there is not sufficient area of contact to support the load on something like a crank handle, any glue will break.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:36 AM

Any Photo ?

Being a Crank Hande it will have force on it that glue cant keep it stable.

Think outside the Square....You dont have to use all Glue !

Can you Brace it eg: down the Sides ? Two metal strips and drill 2 Holes and Pop Rivet it.

Then Glue around that with Araldite { Takes 24hrs to go Rock solid }.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

I have used a similar solution to that which Havachat describes....but instead of Araldite I use J-B Weld

You can use the jb weld to rebuild whatever area is weakened/missing.... it is rather expensive, but usually does the job brilliantly.

Edited by Condobloke, 29 January 2018 - 04:59 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

I'm a big fan of JB Weld and also of several of the plastic-specific epoxies.

That being said, given the desired application, this is a case where an epoxy putty (perhaps combined with straight epoxy glue if the putty does not hold) is the perfect solution.  I have used epoxy putty to rebuild things like knife handles where a chunk has come out around the top of the blade.  It dries to rock hardness and can withstand a lot of pressure.  There are even varieties that can be used on things like exhaust pipes and will withstand very high heat.

I would try to rebuild the knob itself, using the putty to fill in the missing pieces making sure that the original bits with the cracked edges are embedded nicely, perhaps just ever so slightly overlapped, by the putty.  If necessary you can even make the whole affair solid and drill out the center hole afterward if necessary.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

If you need to buid up the area, then the suggested JBWeld putty is the way to go.  If you are trying to glue plastic, then look into an MMA adhesive, such as Devcon Plastic Welder.  https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/adhesives_glues_sealants/plastic_welder/278

Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Location:This tiny speck in the universe somewhere in the middle of time.
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:53 PM

For what its worth, maybe helpful, if you've two pieces: an old crappy solder stick or solder gun and metal strips or metal screen, I've used worn out bacon frying splatter screen and various plastics melted on later for extra strength.  Its slow work and you have to say screw it and come back later to finish it, VERY SLOW WORK!  I repaired an ultra light (my personal favourite that some meathead BROKE!) avalanche shovel.  The head was all broke out almost in half too, WORKS GREAT NOW!  Last thought...  then the kayak and sporting kids said to lastly add layers of epoxy [might have said raw acrylic, doubtful but maybe] which we've a few gallons around but I have never done that on any repairs, the metal holds if its deep.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 29 January 2018 - 10:58 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users