Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless printer hub with parallel or serial port?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:15 AM

I have a very old HP 5000N laser printer. It has been a workhorse and it has several outstanding features that I have not been able to find in a newer printer. I used to access it via cat5 cable, but the network card died. A local printer shop told me a new network card would cost more than a new printer. So I have been accessing it via the parallel port, but I am replacing the workstation with a notebook which doesn't have a parallel port and I wouldn't want it connected that way anyway.

So, even if I buy a new network card, I'd still need a wireless hum, so I'm wondering if I can get a wireless hub with either a parallel port or a serial port.

Here's one with a parallel port:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-PS110P-parallel-ethernet-Internet/dp/B003CFATR4/

It appears to do what I need. Can I use it to connect this printer to my network and then be able to print from any network attached computer?

Is there a better device?

Thanks

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Do yourself a favor and replace the bad jetdirect card!  Its a way better solution.

$13.49 with shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-JETDIRECT-NETWORK-PRINT-SERVER-CARD-LASERJET-600N-J3113A-REFUBISHED-10-100tx/182485345827?epid=20011375335&hash=item2a7cf96623:g:zJYAAOSw4GVYKJt1

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Thank you very much for saving me from myself. I can be an idiot at times. When the tech told me that a new network card would cost hundreds of dollars, I had some doubts, but just assumed that HP was trying to gouge captive customers on replacement parts. after your reply, I checked around. In addition to the one you found, I found many more including this one from Amazon that appears to be new:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007M8H7/

Thanks

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

You're welcome!

I have an HP LaserJet 5 that I have been using since April of 2006 and they sure do "take a licking and keep on ticking", don't they.

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

You're welcome!

I have an HP LaserJet 5 that I have been using since April of 2006 and they sure do "take a licking and keep on ticking", don't they.

I've had my 5000N since 2001. Not only had it been a workhorse, but it has a front-loading paper tray that makes using a few pages of special forms a snap without disturbing the larger paper trays and it has a back tray that provides a straight through path for labels that do not like making tight turns. It also handles paper up to 11x14, which 've only needed a few times, but was handy when I did.

I can;t wait to get my new network card.

Thanks again.

#6 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

OK, I have the new JetDirect 610N card. It's installed in the printer and the configuration page shows that it is present. But when I try to Add Printer, it isn't listed. What do I have to do to get it to show up on the network?

Thanks

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:39 AM

not knowing more about the setup, if you are already using the new win10 notebook I believe a 2001 printer wouldn't be included in the Add Printer list. Is the network card compatible with Win 10? Even if it is, the printer/drivers may not be. Does the printer with the new network card work on your original workstation?

#8 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:07 AM

I am only trying to get the printer working on the old XP machines first. Then I'll tackle the new Win 10 machines.

We have 4 computers: an XP workstation, an XP laptop, and two Win 10 laptops.

When the original network card failed many years ago, I connected the printer to the XP workstation by a parallel cable. I was able to print from the XP workstation through the parallel cable.

I don't recall the details now, but I was able to print from the XP laptop by making the printer visible on the network as a printer attached to the XP workstation. That part is still working today. If I open up the Printers and Faxes applet on the XP laptop, I see the printer listed as "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL 6 (Parallel Port)".

I think the network card needs to be configured, but the instructions in the user guide for doing that are unclear and the instructions on web sites are contradictory.

I guess I'll just try a few things. I've tried contacting HP, but that's pretty much of a black hole.

#9 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

I found several web pages with steps for configuring the JetDirect network card. This is one:

http://www.printertechs.com/other-instructions/network-printing-tutorial/152-entering-ip-address

It appears to suggest 2 methods. Method 1 is to enter a static IP address through the printer's control panel. Method 2 is to let the printer obtain an IP address from a DHCP server, whatever that is.

I was reluctant to use method 1, because I have no idea what IP address to use, so I tried method 2.

I have attached several configuration files from the printer:

This one is with the bad network card still in the printer.

Attached File  Configuration Page 01 Bad network card.pdf   454.36KB   3 downloads

This one is with the new card installed. Page 1 shows the card in Slot EIO 1. Page 2 says the I/O card is not ready (top) and that the TCP/IP is "initializing" (bottom). I didn't notice that it also says "LAN ERROR - LOSS OF CARRIER". I had plugged the cat5 LAN cable into the network card, but forgot to plug the other end into the router. (sigh)
Attached File  Configuration Page 02 New network card.pdf   950.92KB   1 downloads

This one shows the TCP/IP as "ready" and the IP addresses as assigned (page 2, bottom). So I thought we were good to go. I still did not notice the LAN Error at the top of page 2.

Attached File  Configuration Page 03 IP address.pdf   961.2KB   0 downloads

This one was done after a cold restart (power off). Now the TCP/UP says it is "initializing".

Attached File  Configuration Page 04 Loss of carrier.pdf   959.27KB   0 downloads

I then noticed the LAN Error and realized that the cat5 cable was not plugged into the router. I plugged it in and printed this config file. Now it shows the I/O card as "Ready", but the TCP/IP is still initializing. The link above says it can take 15 minutes.

Attached File  Configuration Page 05 Cat5 cable plugged in, initializing.pdf   966.8KB   0 downloads

This is after waiting 15 minutes.Now everything looks to be "Ready". The TCP/IP shows ready and there are IP addresses assigned. They are not the same as in file 93.

Attached File  Configuration Page 06 IP address obtained.pdf   965.6KB   3 downloads

However, the printer still does not show up when I try to run the Add Printer applet.

What more do I need to do?

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

OK, first, a tutorial:

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol and is a negotiation standard whereby newly attached network devices query the network for a DHCP server and, if they find one, ask it to give them an IP address which it then does. (your last (06) shows the ip address as 10.1.10.27 and the router is at 10.1.10.1 which is also the DHCP server in most small lans)

Bear in mind, too, that ALL network traffic consists of telegrams sent and received to and from IP addresses.

For PCs and/or devices (phones, etc.), this is the best way to leave things setup as they will then connect to whatever network they have attached to.  But; for shared resources (like servers or printers) this is not so good because, every time the power goes out or you reboot the router, every device on the network gets a new IP address based upon the order in which they ask for them.  The solution then is to give shared resources fixed or static IP addresses so they are always in the same place on the network.

I like to set printers at x.x.x.150, 151, 152, etcetera which places them far enough up the list that other PCs (or devices) won't bump into them and cause problems.  (You can't have two things with the same IP address; it confuses the h#ll out of the network.)

So, login to the jetdirect card by going to http://10.1.10.27 in a browser which should bring up its management webpage.  They all very slightly depending on the model; but, you ought to be able to go to the network configuration, turn off automatic ip (DHCP) then set the card to 10.1.10.150 and make sure you match the rest of what is on your 06 for the submask, default gateway, and DNS.  Save that, wait for the card to reboot, and then verify it has been saved by going to the new address of http://10.1.10.150

Once that has been verified, go to the ports tab for the HP on one of the existing XP PC's and add a new LOCAL TCP/IP port at 10.1.10.150.  You should be able to use the defaults for the rest of the wizard and then be able to print.  Doing the same on the other XP box should make it work, too.

I do believe the printer will work with Windows 10, too; but, again, you create a new local TCP/IP port and then use Windows updates to retrieve the list of printers and the 5000 ought to be there.

Bear in mind that, if you EVER change out the router, it must be set to 10.1.10.1 or your printer will disappear from the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users