Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Not Boot In Safe Or Bios Mode At All!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gregoryd

gregoryd

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

I'm not sure, and you can decide for yourselves, but I think the hard drive is toast.
My brother (another brother, not Darrel ) got something in his machine that started
" Dumping Physical Memeory".

Every attempt to put adware, malware or antivirus software in and it would crash. Every time!

The problem is that now it will not go past the "boot from CD ROM."
I tried booting from the supplied rescue disk ( MDG Canada ) and it would'nt
I have XP/SP2 Professional and tried that with the same result.

I can't F6 or F8 into it. It goes directly to boot from ??....

Replace hard drive or what?

Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 david_urosevic

david_urosevic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

Not booting, hmmm, have you checked your BIOS settings? Does BIOS see the hard drive?
I think you should take the hard drive out of the computer, set it's jumpers to slave position and put it in another computer to see if Windows will recognise it before you just discard it.
Boot to a Windows98 floppy disk should work too - if it can see a "non FAT" partition your disk is OK.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

Your hard drive has nothing to do with being able to boot into bios setup.
Neither does the Windows XP installation.

What make and model computer is this or if it is a custom computer what is the make and model of the motherboard.

The physical memory dump means it had a critical error, a bad driver, bad memory (ram) or corrupt code in the Windows installation - possiboly in the boot.ini or registry.

Did you see what information it gave you on the blue stop screen or does it just keep rebooting?

#4 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

All I get is the blue Intel page and then the black " Press any key to boot from CD ROM.
There is no checking of the bios settings. The operating system is not functioning all.

#5 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:16 PM

The macine is an MDG Canada. Probably Pent. 4.
It was built and delivered three months ago.
It has all of the toys.
Other than that, thats all I can tell you.
I can't get in to see whats going on.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

The operating system does not control the bios setup - it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The bios works before Windows starts, and in fact is what gets the computer to the point that you can install Windows or another operating system.

There should be directions to press a key or combination of keys at the bottom of the screen to enter bios or setup when you first power the compute on - before you get the blue screen, and the blue screen should have sets of numbers on it.

What brand and model computer do you have?

If you can't look up the computer at support at whatever company manufactured the computer or the motherboard I will help you by doing it.

You find the model number on a label on the back of the computer, in the paperwork that came with it, or in the owners manual.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 September 2006 - 09:21 PM.

#7 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

I will have to get back to you tomorrow on that.
I will take it home with me right now and give you what I can.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

OK

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:00 PM

Here is how to get to the bios:

MDG has only one operating manual for all its computers so here are the directions they state:

Locate the Delete key on your keyboard. It is usually above the arrow keys, labeled Delete or DEL. Turn on your computer and immediately start tapping this key.

The BIOS Setup Utility screen should appear.

Stop Tapping the Delete Key.

The owners manual for MDG Computers is at the following web address:
http://www.mdg.ca/en/support/pdf/userguide.pdf

At this point, lets think about a few other things.

I need to know if you have a cd or dvd that came with the computer, either the Windows Installation CD or OR the restore CD or DVD from MDG.

Which one you have will determine what the next step we can do may be.

One other thing to consider is that if this computer is only a few months old it should still be under warranty and entitled to warranty repair or support over the phone.
Allowing the manufacturer to repair the computer may be the best thing to do unless we can effect a simple repair.
To Call MDG Tech Support dial 1-877-466-3634.

What I want you to do:

Turn on the power to this computer an immediately start tapping the F8 key - before anything begins to show on-screen.

If that does not work look at the bottom of the screen to see what keys to press.

What happens?

You may be able to enter safe mode, and if you can we can try a couple of things to fix the problem.

If you cannot, we need to know which of the CDs or DDDs came with the computer.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

Basically, here's how a computer starts:
1) It performs a self test called POST (Power On Self Test)
2) The BIOS detects all the hardware and "initializes" it.
3) The BIOS then attempts to boot from the devices that it has detected
4) Once it boots, it loads the Operating System.

Since the system gets to the Boot from CD prompt - it appears that the BIOS has done it's job.

So, it can be presumed that the problem lies with the CD itself, the CD Drive, or the controller (on the mobo) that controls the CD drive. I wouldn't expect that it's the controller (although it's possible) - more likely that it is a problem with the CD or with the drive itself.

A memory dump is the result of a system crash. If you're in Windows, a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) will be the result - but if it happens before Windows loads there won't be a screen like this. But there should be a file that ends in .dmp or .mdmp on your system.

Here's a link to a free malware detector that can be run from a floppy or CD: http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/

Also, see if you can try to boot from this CD on another system (but don't run the restore program). This will help to eliminate the CD as the source of the problem.

You can also try to get another CD drive and swap it with the one that's in there now - to rule out a problem with the CD drive.

Or, since it's only 3 months old, you can contact MDG and ask them to fix it (assuming that it's still under warranty).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:11 PM

I thank you all for your time and trouble.
Turns out he didn't by the silly thing at an MDG store after all.
He bought it from MDG over the phone, so he can have it
repaired at any MDG store.

We're off to the Whitby MDG outlet.
They have a looney bin in Whitby, so I may just stay a while.

Again, Thank you all.

Greg

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:20 PM

Good luck.

They should be able to repair it quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users